What do you guys normally eat for lunch?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    So this week as I mentioned I had my works health screening and right now I am fine no trouble at all, but I don't eat much at all during the day and I'm not really sure that is health plus it wouldn't kill me to lose like 5-10lbs which isn't grossly overweight, but I think that not eating lunch is part of the problem, do you guys have any easy convenient, but healthy options of things that I can eat for lunch?

Like here's what I do that I know is a bad habit. If I am really hungry and like I have to stop for fuel I'll run in and by 1-2 big tubes of Pringles and I only buy Pringles and there's a big reason for that. The first reason is they do not get your hands all dirty and greasy like other chips and you can store the tube in the cup holder if your truck has cup holders.

The problem with Pringles is though, is that I can just inhale a whole tube of them like there nothing and that's not good. So, with that in mind what do you guys like to eat for lunch?

road_runner Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I take my lunch/dinner from home, usually either a meat,cheese rolled up in lettuce or a salad. along with half a cup of good nuts and some berries or maybe an apple. I went Grain free and sugar free back in May and have dropped abt 50lb so far, got another 60 to go. And I always make sure to get a good breakfast in with Eggs Veggies and high quality meat.

Puppage, brtecson, scottlav46 and 6 others Thank this.
  4. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Garbage in, garbage out. :D

Food tastes aren't necessarily about taste, sometimes it's about habit. Changing a habit is a struggle sometimes, but often worth it.

Chips of all kinds are tempting but are worse than nothing. Try not having chips for two days and compare how you feel at the end of the day.

For what you do, protein and fat for the win. Protein is structure, fat is energy. Sugar and carbs divert fat energy to storage (ahem), which makes no sense for someone who works like you do.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    road_runner and Mike2633 Thank this.
  5. truck_guy

truck_guy Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2015
    SE MI
    I don't eat much until I'm done working. I graze all day, generally fruit and often I mix up a bag of peanuts and dried cherries, cranberries, and blueberries. I buy big bags of those at Costco and always have them on hand. Occasionally a PBJ. It's hard to eat much when you bust ### all day, but fruit gives me a good quick carb boost when I need it. And thankfully, local apples are starting to show up.

I otherwise eat whatever I want. That's probably the one thing I'll miss about this job.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I don't do lunch. Don't have the patience to stop and twiddle my thumbs and eat.

I'll grab a hotdog or chicken sandwich to have with my afternoon FiberOne bars and coffee for the ride home though.

Lucy in the Sky and Mike2633 Thank this.
  7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I probably ate the most boring lunch of all, mainly because it was pretty much the same thing every day. Turkey sandwich w/Miracle Whip, a couple of slices of cheddar cheese, a couple, (yeah, ONLY a couple,) of home made cookies. Coffee and/or ice water.
    I made my own lunches, and just got into this routine. We'd buy the Jennie-O Oven Roasted Boneless Turkey Breasts. I'd slice it in sandwich size slices.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  8. truck_guy

truck_guy Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2015
    SE MI
    I must admit that the am steak crunchwrap at Taco Bell is a bit of a weakness, and I have a customer that makes them a little special for me. I might get one every few weeks, but I usually regret it for a couple of stops.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  9. 1203 Hauler

1203 Hauler Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2016
    I'm not a big candy eater, but I love, love, LOVE grapes and other juicy finger fruits. Tomatoes(especially cherry tomatoes), chunked up cantaloupe...stuff like that. I buy and carry a lot of fruit with me. Tortilla chips too, not really sure how good they are for you, but they're addicting and fill you up pretty fast.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  10. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I'm not much of a candy eater either. But I do enjoy Slim Jims. Waaaaaay too much. So I try to stay away from them. I can't think of much of anything that is worse for you....

6daysontheroad and Mike2633 Thank this.
  11. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Me too I also enjoy unhealthy Slim Jims.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.