What insurance do I need to run under someone else's authority?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Trucking Suwanee, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Trucking Suwanee

Trucking Suwanee Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I have received conflicting information regarding insurance requirements for my trucks when running under someone else's operating authority. I am a small fleet owner with 4 semi trucks and 4 box trucks, with my own operating authority, I've been running my semi trucks off of the load boards, but I got offered a contract to run for a trucking company. They will only use my trucks if I run under their authority. So my question is, will I still need to keep the full coverage insurance on these trucks or can I drop down to bobtail insurance?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    The co. you lease/on to should take care of main ins. If you still owe $ on them you will need to keep fire an theft policy untill their paid off .

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    Trucking Suwanee Thanks this.
  4. lurch379

lurch379 Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2015
    I am leases to a fleet and run under their authority. The will have the liability insurance as well as the cargo insurance. If you are pulling their trailer you may need to ask then if they require you to have trailer interchange ins. If not then you will need non-trucking liability (bobtail) and comp collision per your needs for the bank.

Trucking Suwanee Thanks this.
  5. lurch379

lurch379 Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2015
    I hate auto correct "I am leased"

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.