What is the avg starter dump truck salary?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by zoekatya, Dec 18, 2015.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi Voyager, that's true. This was years ago, ( early 80's) and every once in a while, the DOT would sit near the gravel pits and watch, but we knew all about it ( trusty CB radio) There was a guy, that routinely would haul double loads in his trailer dump ( grossing 100K) and was paid by the ton. The story goes, the DOT found out about it, and tried to stop him, and he turned into a farm field and dumped it off before the cops could stop him. ( we all wondered what that pile of sand was doing in the farm field)The gravel pit put a stop to those loads shortly after that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    I got pulled over a couple years ago working on a Saturday, got pulled into one of those scales that is closed unless the DOT is working it. I was 3,000 pounds over on my drivers, but not over my gross. The DOT man asked me what I wanted to do about it, I told him I could either spend about an hour up in the bed with a shovel to get legal, or he could give me a littering ticket, but I sure didn't want an overweight ticket. I think my creativity in that response is what got me away with a warning!

4. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Down here in floriduh,

you can make upwards to $400 a week...........

zoekatya Thanks this.
  5. 77Ford

77Ford Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Oklahoma City
    [QUOTE=""semi" retired, post: 4967151, member: 141912"The story goes, the DOT found out about it, and tried to stop him, .[/QUOTE]
    I'd be wondering who the heck told the DOT. LOL

201 Thanks this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I'd be wondering who the heck told the DOT. LOL[/QUOTE]
    Hi 77, guess we'll never know. Dump trucking in the 70's and 80's ( still?)was a cut throat business. There were all kinds of shenanigan's that went on. I'm sure someone ratted him out.

7. Wayne lowe

Wayne lowe Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Hey zoekayta I drive a triaxle In northeastern pa and have been doing so for 3 years now. I drive for my familys company which is only two trucks driven by my father and I. Im making 15/hr and that seems to be about what everyone else is making around here. I know this is an old post so if u havent made up your mind as to if you want to go the dumptrucking route I would advise you to find out if the company you are gonna be working for has somewhat steady work lined up for awhile at least because I know around here we had the natural gas boom and that has pretty much died now so alot of the drivers are doing alot of sitting around and its a little hard to pay your bills when your not working eventho you have a job. I saw one guy say alot of the dumptrucking jobs are on a % basis and if I were you I wouldnt want to take one of those jobs because too many things happen from day to day that arent in your control but could ruin your day and cause you to make no money ....I mean on the flip side you could make more money on a good day on % instead of hourly but I personally prefer to know im making money every hour im in a truck.....hope this helps

SHOJim Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.