What On Board Communications do you use, How do you like it?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by mustang970, May 27, 2015.

Which OnBoard Communications System is the Best

1. OmniTracs

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. PeopleNet

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Telogis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Zonar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    I am working on a project regarding On Board Communications systems.
    What do you or your company use?
    OmniTracs (Qualcomm)
    Zonar Systems
    Telogis
    PeopleNet

Personally I have only used OmniTracs
    What are the Pro's or Con's with each of these systems?
    Are you using a portable or fixed based system?
    What systems have you used in the past, and how do they compare to what you are using today?
    What features do you like the best, or dislike?
    The more details and honest input is appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Peoplenet...used Qualcomm at last carrier. I am not that into it to care about it. The touch screen crap is annoying though...give me a keyboard.

4. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    That was my complaint to, don't care for the touch screen. although the MP50 does have a usb port to plug a keyboard into it.

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    "On board communications" only work when you are in the truck. I don't care for ANY of them for that reason. If I'm home, I don't want to have to keep checking the truck to see if I've got any messages, and if I'm out somewhere waiting on load information, I am probably in a truck stop or restaurant relaxing with some food or in a store doing some shopping, and I don't want to have to keep running back out to the truck to check the status of the load info. I've got a cell phone. It receives phone calls, text messages, e-mail, and any number of other ways to communicate...and it is in my pocket when I exit the truck.

So which "on board" system do I like? NONE of them. I don't care to work for carriers that rely upon them, either...too much of an inconvenience for me.

6. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    How do you communicate currently?
    All of these either do, or will offer a non tethered option. Basically the platform will be similar to a Heavy Duty tablet. Is anybody using such devices today, that can comment on them?

7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Non tethered costs more.......

The crappy carriers won't pay.....

8. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Our Peoplenet units have keyboards with them. Kind of nice when logging an inspection. The stupid touch screen can be finicky at times.

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I use a cell phone. Dispatch texts info, or I can call. Works better that way.

10. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    In my experience people don't want me to communicate with onboard communication devices, at most for e-logs only. Half the time they won't even answer a phone, then complain that I don't call. I'd rather send a message with an onboard system, and only call in an emergency, but the only emergency that comes up is me not using a phone for no apparent reason.

I think the best setup is where they can just track my location, and not involve me in redundant communication, although I turned down a job that would have required me to go into Canada without onboard communication, get real.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.