What To Look For In A Used Trailer

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Kooter, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Kooter

Kooter Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Minnesota
    I work for a material supply company and I've been tasked with looking into the feasibility of buying our own tractor trailer combination to ship our own product from MN to both ND and NE. It seems my Google abilities aren't up to snuff regarding semi trailers. When I Google "things to look out for when buying a semi trailer", the only relevant result to my unknowing eye is:

Is this pretty much the be all end all of what to look for when considering a used trailer? If not, would someone please direct me to another site or give their own input on things to look for?

Thanks for your assistance folks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lots of character

lots of character Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Are you looking for a dry van?

4. Kooter

Kooter Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yes. Would like our product enclosed, and does not need to be refrigerated.

5. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Are you hauling heavy products? The name sounds like it.Anyway in no particular order,landing gear works smooth(not stripped gear) , tiresgood,matching with good tread,no leaky wheel seals,no rust on wheels,all lugs there. No air leaks(holds 100 psi). Brakes work correctly,nopulling or locking up,all lights work,floor structurally sound,no gaps in doors and close tight,secure. No leaky roofs. Basically a trailer that doesn't get you pulled into the weigh station. Would prefer close to new(air ride). Or you can lease them for approximately $30 a day + 5¢ mile or so.JMO

6. rcelmo

rcelmo Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2015

You have no trucks now? Or are you adding to an existing fleet? It is far easier
    and cheaper to hire a truck than it is to own one. If you already have trucks than
    adding one is not a big deal. If this your first truck you might consider getting an
    established company to dedicate a truck to your business. They should have
    all the permits, insurances, etc required to run a truck.

If you have your own truck than leasing a trailer is definitely a good idea. They
    do the maintenance, you have a fixed cost every month, etc.

7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    You could also get a stepdeck or flatbed with a sliding tarp system or Conestoga. These optons would give you the ability to side load your product.

8. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    It should at a minimum have tires.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Anything bent, broken or damaged. Tires should have no abnormal wear patterns. No leaks. No wiring and hose hanging down or damaged. No obvious cracks or extreme corrosion on the frame. On a van you'll want to make sure all the rivets on the exterior walls are there and not loose/falling out.

ChaoSS Thanks this.
  10. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Hiring a truck is the best way. You also are willing to take on the added liability of running a truck? Think accident and lawsuit.

But, if you are going to do it anyhow, hire a mechanic to look it over since you do not know what to look for.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.