When to Move Over vs. CB Abuse

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JMurphy1, Jul 24, 2015.

1. JMurphy1

JMurphy1 Light Load Member

May 3, 2015
    CT
    For all of you experienced, seasoned drivers; a combination question:

Background: I have been driving solo only 1 year now, I think I am doing alright most things considered, but today I was badgered on the CB radio for not moving out of another driver's way. The highway, I-85 N, in SC in this area was 4 lanes, I was in the 3rd lane from the left, I had to pass another slower truck (hard to believe as I drive for TMC), with my signal light on to change lanes back into the far right, that truck speeds up then I hear an enraged trucker spewing all manner of expletives for my not getting the hell out of his way! Then the driver of a bobtail, who has the IQ of "1", as was evident by the finger he was wagging out his window at me, spitting obscenities at me flies by, I'm thinking where the heck did he come from, I swear he wasn't even in my lane??! I didn't respond to him over the CB but rather let him go speeding on ahead.

Was I in the wrong by not moving over faster? I try to give the vehicle I'm overtaking as much room as I hope to receive when I am the one being passed. And also, what's up with the lack of etiquette that is rampant on the CB radio?

flood Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    CB Rambo. I wouldn't sweat it. Sounds like you were doing the right thing. I hope you smiled and waved at the jerk off. I always do. Seems to really make their day!

4. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    I drive a slow truck myself. There are certain sections of road where I stay in the middle. Mostly due to many on and off ramps in a tight area ( New Jersey). If they don't like it they can go around me. I don't get intimidated by trucks up my rear or a big mouth on the radio. When I have my CB in the truck I just let them know that if they have an opinion we could pull over on the shoulder and discuss it.

icsheeple and Dreamboat Thank this.
  5. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    Haven't ran a CB in over 10 years. Don't miss it one bit. Trash. That's all that came out of it, trash.

6. JMurphy1

JMurphy1 Light Load Member

May 3, 2015
    CT
    Thanks, actually he went by too fast to see any response.

I typically do the same, the company does not encourage frequent lane changes.

I definitely agree with "trash" as a term for the radio. I only use it in congested areas and such in case there might be something of note ahead.

darthanubis and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  7. reefer101

reefer101 Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2014
    that's angry driver probably has hormonal imbalance from masturbating too much, that why every little thing makes him angryo_O

GoldFoot, darthanubis and texasbbqbest Thank this.
  8. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    If you can pass then do so. Just cause hes going 15 over you doesnt mean you have to get out of his way. Theres no blue and red lights flashing

darthanubis Thanks this.
  9. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    no problem you were fine

10. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Now Ive been known to yell a time or two when knuckle heads from the same company try to race each other and make a rolling roadblock. But I share the road

Big Don and flood Thank this.
  11. 3BL

3BL Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2014
    The Basin
    I always thought it was "Slower Traffic Keep Right"

Guess it doesn't apply to guys in trucks governed under the speed limit.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.