Where can I do DOT Supervisor Training?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by dlstruck, Sep 29, 2016.

1. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    My dad recently leased on to me and I'm the DER for his drug testing. I just realized that I don't have any supervisor training that I'm supposed to have. https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/us-department-transportation-dot-drug-alcohol-supervisor-training-guidance

Apparently I need to do 2 hours of training on it. At the bottom of the page, it states:

Have you ever taken the DOT Supervisor Training at your current job?
    When I go to the link, it has a training video. But it's only about 20 minutes long. I called up OOIDA and they said that with their program (I'm not using them for the drug testing), they send you some material and you just sign a paper saying you did 2 hours of training on it. No test or anything. Can I do the same?

49 CFR 382.603 is the applicable regulation requiring supervisors of commercial motor vehicle drivers who operate vehicles that require a commercial driver license to take 60 minutes of training on the symptoms of alcohol abuse and another 60 minutes of training on the symptoms of controlled substances use (120 minutes in total).

It doesn't say that there are any certifications, so can I watch 2 hours worth of alcohol abuse and controlled substance use videos and just sign a form stating I got 2 hours of training? Or is there actually some specific course I need to take? I haven't had my new entrant audit yet so I need to make sure everything is done correctly.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Don't make the auditor think -- present them with a certificate stating you completed the requisite training:

[​IMG]

Bias_racing Thanks this.
  4. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    So do I just take any online course? There's a few I found for $40-$80.

5. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    If you search really hard, I'm sure you can find the information you need online for free and can print out that certificate with the correct words in the correct place to make the DOT happy...

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Rubber stamp.

Sit and watch a video, you have now been trained. Go forth!

7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    For the right price I will be your instructor

8. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Dude, that's what wives are for tell her to find out and go do it. I would have to sell out without mine.

Tropsnart Thanks this.
  9. truckingmechanic321

truckingmechanic321 Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2018
  10. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Check your state's Motor Truck Assn...they often do courses on this kind of stuff....or order a few dvd's from J J Keller, Wisconsin's Tree Feller...complete with fancy certificates

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.