Where can i find prices on used gliders?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by monstertrucking1, Jun 1, 2015.

1. monstertrucking1

monstertrucking1 Bobtail Member

May 7, 2015
    Columbus, ga
    Hey everyone.

Im trying to find prices for 3-5 year old freightliner fitzgerald gliders. Does anyone know a price range for these years and why there are so few to find out there? So far I have found one that is a 2012 with 550K miles and they are asking $79,500 but that is the only one I can find. Would you buy a used fitzgerald glider? Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I would call Fitzgerald instead of asking on a forum. There's 3 companies based in TN I can think of off the top of my head that are 100+ truck fleets running Fitz Coronado sleeper and day cab trucks that do the typical 3 year trade cycle back into new. So they are out there. For how long do they last I have no idea. My thing is I can't see paying $80,000 for ANY truck with 500,000 miles on it regardless if it is glider or not. If I had a budget that size and was sure of my business i'd just get a brand new one and be done with it. But that's just me.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I was under the impression that once the truck was completed, then it became a truck and no longer a glider kit.

5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    It will always be a glider from the g in the VIN . Also, anyone knowing which engines came in different model years would know it's a glider or has been repaired with a swapped in engine at some point.

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  6. Lostkeys

Lostkeys Heavy Load Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Archbold,OH
    truckpaper.com is one place to start. Also like RC said, call the dealer direct...Fitz, Harrison, etc. I found mine through the dealer.

7. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    rollin coal is right on. No way should you pay 80k on a glider with 500,000 miles on it.

monstertrucking1 Thanks this.
  8. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    There is a designation in the VIN that it is a glider, but it is not necessarily a "G". My 2013 Freightliner glider the designation is a "Z".

And I concur... there is no way I would drop $80K for any truck with 500K miles on it. Not even for a friend. I would think even $80K for a used glider with only 300K miles is a bit of a stretch and I would probably turn and walk away. Unless it is a custom truck with some serious changes from what normally runs up and down the road.

I have not been a big fan of Fitz for gliders. Not that they are junk, but it is not the same as going with a full blown OEM dealer for one. I got mine from Harrison Freightliner near Waterloo, IA. They use only factory rebuilt engines, trans, and diffs. Not some in house rebuilt stuff like Fitz does quite often. You get full factory warranties on the entire setup that will be honored at any dealership nationwide.

9. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Guys that have them (Fitz) seem to really like them. You can get OEM or the in house motor with them either/or someone stands behind it. A buddy has a Coronado glider with the in house motor and gets over 8 mph running 67 mph. Getting 7.2-7.5 running over 70 mph. Absolutely loves it. Burns about 2/3's or less fuel than me in a week on the same miles.

10. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I didn't say that everything from Fitz was inferior or junk. But there are also a sizeable group of glider owners that have bought from Fitz that have invented new swear words because of that buy. MPG numbers should be up there. I just had the ECM dumped while getting a ABS sensor worked on, and the lifetime MPG for my glider shows 7.83 mpg over 400,000 miles.

And it is a crap shoot if a Freightliner dealer or Detroit OEM shop is going to honor a Fitz in house rebuild on a Series 60 rebuild. Same for Cat and Cummins. The wrong time to find out if they will or not is not when you are 1000 miles from Fitz and something craps out. Having factory rebuilt with a factory warranty eliminates all doubt.

Key thing is, Fitz is not a authorized OEM dealer of any kind. They are a third party outfit that does what any individual can do... order trucks thru the OEM. Why mess with the middle man when you can go right to the source?

bigguns and pusherman Thank this.
  11. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It's not a crap shoot Fitz stands behind the motor, not Detroit, unless a guy opts for OEM then they have the same Detroit warranty you have. Freightliner, KW, Pete stand behind the truck. Fitz doesn't build any CAT's they install those come from Thompson with unlimited miles 4 year warranty good at any CAT house.

monstertrucking1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.