Where should I start for flatbed? Company or O/O?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by chris_karr, Aug 15, 2016.

1. chris_karr

chris_karr Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have been researching for over a year know, wanting to get my CDL, authority, and the whole Riga Maroe.

I'd like to pull a flatbed, and own a truck. I used to ride through the summers with my uncle as a young lad, but he is a company driver.

Would you suggest that I start somewhere like Melton to learn the ropes? Could I possibly learn enough through the experience of others to run flatbed on my own authority from the get go?

I was pondering the idea of pulling a 40' gooseneck with a 5500, but then decided I'd rather have a larger truck and a bed.

Where would a 100% complete guide to becoming an owner operation be? I've found several partial guides and I am trying to put two and two together, but It would probably be best to have a complete from start to end on the start guide.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Clyde07

Clyde07 Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2013
    Your first step might be joining OOIDA. But even then, if you're thinking of going O/O with your own authority right out of the gate, you're setting yourself up to fail miserably.

chris_karr Thanks this.
  4. chris_karr

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Perhaps company for a few years then sign on to a company under their authority with my own rig? I am definitely open minded to what you all have to say on this.

Hamburger71 Thanks this.
  5. Hamburger71

Hamburger71 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2014
    North Carolina
    I suggest company driver for a minimum of a year, but more is better. I would look into Melton or TMC. Personally, I like TMC and know several guys who retired around the time I did from the Marines who went there. I was going to work for them when I got back into trucking, but I have a back issue which worries me. I have driven several types of trucks and hauled lots of freight, but I wouldn't jump into O/O for flat-bedding without having done A LOT of it. It pays the most for a reason. You really need to know what you are doing. Just my two cents.

chris_karr Thanks this.
  6. Unchained

Unchained Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Eastern Tennessee
    Unless you have securement training Melton has an excellent orientation with awesome securement classes, for company drivers... If you go O/O maybe check into LandStar which I hear has a really good securement training class for O/O...

chris_karr Thanks this.
  7. chris_karr

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Melton seems like an awesome starting place! I have seen a lot of people that are happy to drive for them. I have never heard of land star. You would suggest them after I've been driving for a couple years?

8. Unchained

Aug 1, 2016
    Eastern Tennessee
    I was just concerned about you diving in as an O/O without specialized securement training... There are a lot of fits for the person wanting to own there own truck, as long as you don't care about anything but that Truck and living on the road full time you can make a descent living... If you want more then that Melton or TMC 50 to 65 thousand a year... With a Life...

9. spax

spax Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    Not picking at you @Clyde07 but it can be done and this advice isn't good for everyone.

When I started I had my authority and my first truck before I even had my cdl. I lived somewhere I didn't really know anyone so I had to post an add on CL and pay some stranger $20/hr to ride with me so I could go pass my road test. I even had to have him ride with me to deliver a load because I failed my road test the first time. This was in '08 and I'm still going today. I've also had a stint pulling a flatbed and I did nothing more than read a securement handbook and ask questions here. It's not rocket science especially if you want to succeed and have some common sense.

To the OP I say go for it if it's what you want. Obviously having some money will help, can't be totally broke. I managed while being close to broke most of the time. The point is, it can be done.

fordconvert and chris_karr Thank this.
  10. Unchained

Aug 1, 2016
    Eastern Tennessee
    I will second that if you want to succeed bad enough you will...

spax Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Good advice, and yes, join www.OOIDA.com to learn the business end of being an owner-operator.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.