Which C.B. radio would be best?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Wormdirt, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Wormdirt

Wormdirt Bobtail Member

May 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    I am looking at buying a new c.b. radio that will put out around 100 watts. I am looking for a radio that has great modulation, as well as extra channels. I have been looking at the Connex, General, Galaxy, Magnum, Stryker, and RCI radio's. I want the best for the money, in the $200 to $275 dollar range. I know a lot of this is preference, but I am looking for a little input from drivers who have owned them. The good, and the bad. I have also thought about a small linear instead of a radio, but I don't wanna have to worry about running wires in this company truck. Thanks:scratch:

bored silly Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tricky Rick

Tricky Rick Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Northwest Mississippi
    The new General Lee HP, or the Connex 3300 HP, a good coax, and a good, correctly tuned antenna. These radios are about the same, inside. You shouldn't need a linear, as they are "built in" to these radios. No experience with the other brands you listed. Where abouts are you in TN.? You can get these radios at the exit 163 CB shop on I-40, between Jackson and Nashville. The General Lee's sell out fast.

4. texan007

texan007 Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2010
    In the woods,TEXAS
    I love my connex 3300 HP with a small box. But it took a while to get the antenna, ground, and tune right.

5. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    In that price range....General Lee HP...Think they just call it the General HP tho...good for 100w's out of the box...

6. jimvrg

jimvrg Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2012
    yellville arkansas
    buying an exspensive radio only invites theives,better off with something like a cobra thats been worked,less likely to get that stolen along with your other stuff in your truck

7. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Really....Last radio I had stolen was back in probably 1976....

Last Summer I had my Suburban broke into in a Home Depot parking lot, and they stole everything from my tools, my coat, a pair of cheap sunglasses, some CD's....But didn't touch my CB or the Amps in the back, which they had to almost trip over to get everything else...

BTShepp Thanks this.
  8. bitcrazy59

bitcrazy59 Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2012
    NorthTexas
    I started out using a Cobra 29 LTD and after a few years had it kicked up! it rocked until my ex burned it up. If I would have known then what I know now, I would have kept that radio and had it repaired. :biggrin_2556:
    After I went back into the industry, I found a Galaxy 33 which was a great clean sounding radio but then I decided to buy me a brand new General Lee which turned out to be a lemon. The ears on it was horrible and after I was about to give up on it I bought a Texas Star 500 to go with it which def helped but after fighting it for a year I came across a very sweet deal. I bought a Galaxy 99V which was awesome! That is now my back up radio as my main radio is a Galaxy 95T!! I sold my General lee along with the Texas Star..good ridance to that radio! The box is one of the best out there in my opinion.
    If you look around the internet & can wait a bit you can find some sweet deals out there.
    I just have a few good friends that I was lucky enough to 'steal' the last radios I have. I refuse to let them go because the older radios are hard to find along with a good radio repairmen that knows what they are doing as well as won't rip you off.
    Hands down by far is the older Galaxy radios !:biggrin_25525:

bored silly Thanks this.
  9. Eagle_Eye

Eagle_Eye Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2010
    ClarksvilleTennesse
    no real reason to spend alot on CB nothing on it. I have a cobra 18 works fine in traffic.

10. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Having owned/own both these radios, all I can say is your Gen Lee wasn't tuned right or needed repair. It is the perfect "trucking" radio IMHO. Dual finals, easy to switch bands, easy to operate, and all the necessary functions like 10kc switch and hi/lo pwr switch in case you want to run a box. The only thing I would add would be a freq counter, but that is not a necessity. As already stated, a good quality coax and a properly installed antenna is the main thing in having a "good" radio.

bored silly Thanks this.
  11. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    Funny you should say that ....

In 1976 my brother had his car broken into and his GENAVE 6 and 2 meter radios stolen .....

Almost a year later a local ham spots them at a flea market with his call engraved in both ..... Calls the sheriff office which had the report and an officer whet by the booth checked the ser numbers and arrested the booth owner ....

It was quite a while before he got the radios back I do not know what happened to the booth owner but in 1976 the 2 radios were worth $500 a felony at that time ....

I open them up they had had all the ham crystals removed and a pair of ch 19 ones installed ... I would have loved to see who did it ....

I work at a JAIL the local homeless shelter is across the parking lot from where I park my car .... some cars like you said have had coats or money stolen but noone wants my cheap 2 meter radio ....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.