Why do O/O's load front and back?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Ken Worth, May 27, 2015.

1. Ken Worth

Ken Worth Medium Load Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Great Plains
    I noticed several O/O's loading their trailer with half the load over the drives and half over the spread axles. I've belly-loaded just about every load I've hauled and just wondered what splitting the load does for you? I always thought the trailer was built to take the spring out and distribute the weight evenly. I don't think we're talking traction here because it's May and they're still doing it. What's the theory behind loading over the axles?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Spread the weight out on the deck. Less stress on the frame than just putting it in the center and stressing the frame time after time.
    Better ride

OLDSKOOLERnWV, Ken Worth, rank and 2 others Thank this.
  4. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    more stress on the trailer if you put the load in the middle ,,maybe he unloaded some freight already or wants to leave as must room as possible to add more freight,

Ken Worth and rank Thank this.
  5. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    plus you can carry more weight on the back, and like said better ride.

Ken Worth Thanks this.
  6. NadeauTrucking

NadeauTrucking Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Bristol, CT
    If you have a trailer with the "coil option", its built to take all that weight in the center.

Ken Worth Thanks this.
  7. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Easier to axle out if loading to max. I always loaded to save as much room as possible for lol.

Ken Worth Thanks this.
  8. Cluck Cluck

Cluck Cluck LTL Wizard

May 6, 2010
    Dunkirk, Indiana
    [​IMG]

I like to spread mine out if I can. Rides a heck of a lot nicer.

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I can't stand it when a shipper loads me heavy in the rear...rides & pulls like crap if I'm 38K on the trailer and 30K on the drives. If I'm going to be heavy on one end or the other, I'd prefer as close to 34K on my drives and whatever is left on the trailer...but ideally pretty even on the weights.

10. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    usually i have controll of the load and i tell them were to load it, that is the beautiful part of FB

Ken Worth Thanks this.
  11. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Thats how I like to ride also. Even if its just a 30k load,.. I want the weight over my drives if I can. Not always that easy with a step trailer.

Also its my opinion the tires on the trailer will last longer with less weight on the spread. I'd rather drag 26k lbs on the spread with 33k lbs on the drives, than the other way around,.. truck rides so much smoother.

My trailer itself will handle the weight no matter where I put it. For me its more for the ride and tire life.

Hurst

Ken Worth and peterbilt_2005 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.