WM residential position ?s

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by spark678, Feb 18, 2016.

1. spark678

spark678 Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Had a phone interview with WM for a residential position. Anyways does anyone know what I can expect for pay? The interviewer told me he thinks its for a rear loader position and starts at 15.50 and is negotiable. Anyone know what the going rate is around Tampa FL? Should I stay away from WM? I know they are safety conscious and watch like a hawk. I talked to a guy in my neighborhood and he said hes been there 7 years and loves it. It seems like all he does is push a button to lift up the garbage bins up front with a claw. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    I worked as roll off, we had front load and side load trucks. I was NOT able to hack side load. It is rough. Hot herky jerky all day, constantly looking over your shoulder or in a mirror, gas, brake, herky jerk while looking backwards, now gas hard for 20 feet and repete 700 plus times a day. Front load has to push those cans in and out of garages, some of the tightest driving you can do, and ever see a crap apt. Building garbage coral? Yup clean it up driver. Rear load im not sure. Just dont think its cake and wine. Roll off is by leaps and bounds easier to do. And even with grocrey store nastyness, still cleaner. Most roll off have working a/c. Ever see where the engine is on front load? Yup thats it rubbing your right leg.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  4. spark678

spark678 Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Good reply! I was thinking it would be temporary to move up into roll offs if they let you do that. I think the pay is low here in FL unfortunately. Now 30 bucks an hour like I read in some of these posts sign me up. Thanks again for replying.

5. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Well some people like it, then again some people like doing food and bev (shudder) try it, by all means. But dont exspect easy. Trash is hot, hard, and dirty. (Not in the good way) but some guys thrive.

Mike2633 and spark678 Thank this.
  6. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Pedal to the right.

7. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    You dont count a a guy thriving in food service mike. Im pretty sure your a ####ing machine sent from the future to replace truck drivers....

Big Don and Mike2633 Thank this.
  8. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Ha ha I don't know about me a machine ha-ha I'm usually the third last truck back to the yard, of course I also run some real less then stellar routes too so it's all relative I don't have to many easy days or routes. My Tuesday is a disaster there's a reason nobody bid on it and I got it coming in off the street ha-ha! My Tuesday this week was 18 stops and my Wednesday was 17 stops. My Thursday is all schools usually, with maybe only 12 stops but 900 cases sometimes.

I read on here that a common garbage truck saying is "Pedal to the right"

9. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Foot down till sun down,

Give it the skinny pedal

If you can smell your load, your not moving fast enough. (Personal favorite that one)

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  10. ddeldgeetar

ddeldgeetar Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Rear loader is hard work. Hopefully the city has carts and tippers or you are dumping by hand every stop. Don't get me started on yard waste bags. For 15.50 an hour that would be a tough sell. As far as Waste Management is concerned, a phone interview isn't much. There will be 2 in person interviews and even then you may not get it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.