Wonder if I should keep my Transporter Plates

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Ryan S2016, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    When I started my business I applied and was approved for two NC Transporter Plates, these are the light green metal plates similar to what dealers use. I have the opportunity to use them on a couple of occasions to help a local dealer move some light trailers to customers. I know they have a purpose and are helpful I also know from other forum members not easy to always get approved for because insurance companies won't usually allow them because they don't know the type of units they are being used for each time.

They don't cost much $18.00 per plate and they renew each year at the same rate. I am thinking of getting into moving RV trailers maybe boats for some local dealers. I know Manheim used to have a drive-away program but they don't anymore. I got them because the drive-away loads were popular and acceptable at one time but not sure anymore. Is it worth keeping them because I know some companies will give drivers temp transporter tags for a trip, I just thought I could charge a bit more if I used my own.

Curious on all your thoughts and if anyone knows other valuable uses I could get from them please let me know

Thanks Have a great day everyone

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

With the costs being as cheap as they were. Why not keep them.
    You might get that one call on a Sat. or Sun. to move a unit.. Bamm you can and not have to wait until Monday to move the unit.
    That's just my thoughts on it..

Ryan S2016 Thanks this.
  4. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Funny you say that because that's happened twice from the local Sundowner Dealer in SC called on Saturday said the trailer arrived early and customer needed it but he couldn't get to the dealer to write up a temp tag and I said no worries I have my own. Got paid nice for that one plus it was a holiday weekend so the customer would of had to wait until Tuesday.

5. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

See there you go. Plate more than paid for it's self
    Happy customer

Ryan S2016 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.