Working in the Oil Fields

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Ernest82, Apr 22, 2012.

1. nicholas_jordan

nicholas_jordan Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2012
    temple texas
    let's not talk about gs
    I worked in construction for decades where bounced checks are said to be a problem, only had one or two so have the person read Chapter 61 of the Texas Labor Code -- "Texas Payday Law" .... I am not real swift on TWC -{ previously T.E.C. }- but I am totally 100-% sure whatever chances there are of recovery, TWC will be glad to help
    Every wonder how "lawyers" pay for those $34,000 vehicles?.....

I got lots to say but I do not want a Glass Bird on my pooter (computer)

best is to do what in computer-science is called feed-forward, translates as dont look back ~ in other words, let's talk about companies that are productive - I will be going to Karnes City / Kenedy and can tell you for a fact that if hubby wants a job and can stand in the door with a CDL ~ THERE WILL BE SOME COMPANY THAT WANTS HIM

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jake3292

jake3292 Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Well put Tankerjockey, I've been here about the same amount of time. You pretty well summed up the oilfield.

4. cobra7479

cobra7479 Light Load Member

If You want to work up here in the Bakken then u have to get with a good company or u will be making squat.. The company I drive for is Power Fuels and I'm never sitting I'm never set home for days at a time with no work... And I cleared 108,000 last year hauling production water... I clear 38 an hour with a 2012 KW T 800 in top shape...

My advice is stay away from thefollowing
    Key energy there driver getting around 40 hrs a week if there lucky...
    MBI... There losing all there contracts to us
    J@S truckings... They are reckless and always paying big fines cause there drivers have no clue how to work responsibly

Whylie bice...Criminals period

Owner ops are being pushed out cause they over charge to make max dollar on a load and there safety records suck... They wear sandals and t shirts on locations that require full Fire Retartent clothing and steel toes..

You can get with these companies if ur fresh with a CDL but I guarantee u will be living out of ur dirty smelly broken truck 24/7 making what u could make back home?
    They also don't have housing and if they do there as cheap as they companies can get away with

Camper spots here are like 1500 a month now cause Williston kicked All campers off city property

The winter here will make or break weak or nervous drivers... Get experience OTR first or you could kill someone up here...

5. nicholas_jordan

nicholas_jordan Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2012
    temple texas
    I keep hearing of maybe hundreds of companies just cryin for sand trucks and willing to pay twice or better what might normally be ~ post on my thread Seeking work with Key in North Half of Eagle Ford Shale as I keep hearing almost bizarre stories of major ($) and have Class-A working drivers from other states wanting to drive in Texas ~ I am down to flat 0 with creditors on me for 15-k but basically a clean operator - ie use ppe and so on - sorta up & down but over 6 mo+ scope usually tends up and has major brands issuing university grade reports with full-dress D.O.E. officals proclaiming to press this is some sort of multi-decade operation that will ~ and already is ... pull operators from Alaska North Slope,...one of them / my ideal focus at the moment \ is a very legit operation that went from a few office types to major-scale just since '08 on nothing but this area of operations .... Jsmrd say hello to Flo the waitress for me on my thread if she posts ..... & pm me about your husband's current status there

6. RRP

RRP Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I just recently canceled my lease with a company and I have 2+ trucks with vacuum pumps that i need to get back to work hauling water, mud etc., what are some good, fair companies with plenty of work in the LA - TX area to lease on to? Thanks...Robin

7. Who

Who Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2008
    mid-west
    Thanks for such a good post. I trimmed it, to save a little space.
    Are you an owner operator, or company driver? Them's is some motivating numbers.

How does the work vs. pay in OK and KS compare to ND, MT & WY?
    I'm hurting from the break in driving, not to mention the self-imposed constraints.
    It seems most carriers do not hire, if you've been out of a truck for 6 months to a year.

Can you make any recommendations, based on my summary?
    I just emailed this to Quality Carriers Energy Resources:

CDL-A, 10 years experience, over the road.

Do you have a need for CDL-A drivers, to haul water?

I have no interest in throwing tarps, renewing my HazMat endorsement, or applying for TWIC.

Other than hauling bridge beams on stretch flatbeds and 5-axle steerable, in second half of 2011, I haven't done much since January 2009.

I'm looking for local or regional work. I'm in Kansas City, at the moment.

Experience includes Flatbed, RGN, 5-axle Steerables & Food Grade Tankers with no baffles.

I do have a current medical card.
    Endorsements include Doubles/Triples & Tanker.

I have No Criminal Record and No DUI/DWI.

8. cobra7479

cobra7479 Light Load Member

We havnt hired for almost 2 months... And BPF snt even hiring drivers who quit and wantedto come back...Some had 5 years with Power Fuels. The best and 99.5% way to get a job up here is to apply in person..It's slow up here right now... We are still always getting 72 hours a week hauling production water but we are not the norm of most other companies....

nicholas_jordan and Who Thank this.
  9. Who

Who Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2008
    mid-west
    Thanks, cobra. I appreciate it.

10. oldyankee

oldyankee Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2010
    NC
    So how is the pay and benefits at Gazelle?

11. grusco

grusco Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Rosemount, MN
    I came to the North Dakota Bakken fields with 2 months OTR experience. Hauling water to and from well sites. We're scheduled 12 hours a day, 5 days on, 2 off. I'm getting closer to 70+ hours a week and this weekend I got called asking if I want to work on my day off. We get every other weekend off. Otherwise I get a Sunday and Thursday off. I consider a 12 hour day a short day. Most often I'm at least an hour from finishing work when my 12 hours is up. We are paid $20 an hour for the first 40 then time and a half. Holiday's we get double time for 8 hours then our regular pay (mostly overtime) for all hours.

We drive a few state highways but mostly county roads. They are so rough (like a washboard) the trucks will start moving sideways. We drive mostly Mack automatics although there are a few 13 speeds in the fleet. Don't think you just get in and put it in drive in an automatic. You have to learn how to drive an automatic in these conditions. If you're going up a very steep hill on a county road or lease road (private roads going to the well sites) and it's icy or muddy and your truck shifts you could be stopped and stuck right there. By the way, mud is as bad or maybe worse than ice and snow here. I'm hearing stories of having to chain up in the mud including one chain on the steers.

OTR seems like driving on a cloud compared to what I experience dail
    y.

Big Duker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.