Would you do business at a truck stop that charged for parking ?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by RickG, Jan 1, 2010.

How do you feel about truck stops charging for parking ?

1. *

Doesn't bother me .

30 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. *

I will stop there for fuel only

8 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. *

It's a ripoff . I'd never stop there

56 vote(s)
    37.3%
  4. *

I would park there if noplace else was available .

61 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    I've only paid to park twice and both occasions were when nothing else was available. I understand the truck stops need to make money, but I like to keep as much of the money I make as possible.

What I would truly like to see (and I've heard Jasons law passed so it may actually happen) is more public truck parking areas paid for by the gov't. Just a parking lot with a dumpster and a porta potty is good enough for those of us who have our own food and are just looking for a place to sleep. Then truck stops can be used only by those looking for a hot meal, fuel, showers, etc. And those of us who park without buying anything will have an alternative place to park. Seems like a win-win to me.

Infosaur and mustang970 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. screenman_0

screenman_0 Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Denison, TX
    I think it is an outrage to have to pay to park for the night. I should not be charged to park or shower since I bought fuel, a meal and goodies from their restraunt and store.

4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Most fuel stops that charge for parking will allow free parking if you have a receipt for fuel or spending a given amount at the store or restaurant .

5. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    Do you buy something everytime you park?

6. Dreaman

Dreaman Medium Load Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Iowa
    A few years ago I had to stay at a Petro in New Jersey. Don't remeber where. They gave me a ticket to park when I pulled in and it was 8 bucks or have $25 in reciepts when you went to leave in the morning. Guess whoever was suppose to be at the gate in the morning forgot to show up. Parking was free. I suppose I could have went else where but late in the day and it had been a long one.

So if they are paying to pick up the trash does that mean all the holes in the parking lot will be fixed when the trash is removed from them? I can't count the number of lots where there are holes a truck could disappear in or ruts in every parking spot its like driving across a picked field of corn.:yes2557:

outerspacehillbilly Thanks this.
  7. Coonass

Coonass "Freshy Fresh"

Sep 23, 2008
    The only time I've paid to park is at the TA in Ontario, CA and most of the time I had
    receipts that totaled at least $20. As most of you know there aren't many places to
    choose from in that area to park and where they do have parking most all of them
    charge.

8. mustang970

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    Walk around the store, restaraunts, or even outside near the trash cans, usually can find all the receipts you'll need to cover the parking cost.

9. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    And if you gather up a few you might be able to sell them to newbies for $5 each . :biggrin_2559:

mustang970 Thanks this.
  10. mustang970

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    That might be a idea, could wander around, collect 20 bucks of receipts, adn sell a stack for 5 bucks. A savings of 15 dollars to the rube.

11. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    I usually just put in some fuel and park...If I'm there more than 24 hours, I'll probably have enough receipts to get the second day free as well.

If not....I just pay and give the reciept to my CPA!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.