Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Jan 2011
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    189
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked: 55 Times

    Insurance for High Risk driver?

    I had a DUI related accident almost 3 yrs ago in my car. I am an otr o/o leased to a small company in california. My problem is the insurance company I was insured with for the past 2 yrs has decide to drop me this year, apparently the accident hasn't shown up on my record until this year.\
    I have searched high and low for the past week for an insurer that works with high risk drivers but to no avail.
    If someone is or was in a similar situation and knows of a company that would possibly provide insurance to a high risk driver. Please tell me I am in a really rough spot here.


  2. #2
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    MN
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,276
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked: 542 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by razor1983 View Post
    I had a DUI related accident almost 3 yrs ago in my car. I am an otr o/o leased to a small company in california. My problem is the insurance company I was insured with for the past 2 yrs has decide to drop me this year, apparently the accident hasn't shown up on my record until this year.\
    I have searched high and low for the past week for an insurer that works with high risk drivers but to no avail.
    If someone is or was in a similar situation and knows of a company that would possibly provide insurance to a high risk driver. Please tell me I am in a really rough spot here.
    I really hate to say it, but you might be out of luck in this matter. This is a major problem and I have a friend in a similar situation.

    This is also the reason some smaller companies cannot hire drivers with recent DUI's.... Even if they know the guy and really want to hire them... The insurance company will threaten to drop them if they do hire them.

    Basically, insurance companies are telling employers who they can hire and who they cannot hire... via blackmail.

  3. #3
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CA, Los Angeles
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 0 Times
    Wow, thatís really unfortunate. Iím not sure it will work, but you can see if The Hartford will give you an online auto insurance quote. Iíve been with them for a very long time, and theyíve never given me a reason to complain so it will be really good for you if they agree to take you on as a client.

  4. #4
    Medium Load Member grimesjm1's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kensington,OH
    Trucker?
    5 Years
    Age
    35
    Posts
    375
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked: 215 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by shredfit1 View Post
    Basically, insurance companies are telling employers who they can hire and who they cannot hire... via blackmail.

    It's not really blackmail. They don't wanna be financially responsible for someone who hasn't yet figured out that drinking and driving is a no-no.

  5. #5
    Independent Owner/Operator Hanadarko's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    2,951
    Thanks
    1,439
    Thanked: 873 Times
    Progressive usually insures anyone. In fact, we were talking about a client that pays over $2000/mo for insurance in the Bronx....

    No matter what, be prepared to PAY-

  6. #6
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    MN
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,276
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked: 542 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by grimesjm1 View Post
    It's not really blackmail. They don't wanna be financially responsible for someone who hasn't yet figured out that drinking and driving is a no-no.
    Yeah, while drinking and driving is a no,no.. It's also been taken to the extreme. Three beers at a ball game can get you popped for a DUI these days.

    While some stone sober geriatric can move back and forth across the zipper in a 35ft RV and be deemed ok, and insurable.

  7. #7
    Independent Owner/Operator Hanadarko's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    2,951
    Thanks
    1,439
    Thanked: 873 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by shredfit1 View Post
    Yeah, while drinking and driving is a no,no.. It's also been taken to the extreme. Three beers at a ball game can get you popped for a DUI these days.

    While some stone sober geriatric can move back and forth across the zipper in a 35ft RV and be deemed ok, and insurable.
    The only problem with this is that drinking is a conscious choice. You make a decision to drink and if it was too much - thats your problem.

    Now, the geriatric issue - thats a whole nother problem.
    Those people are getting old through no fault of their own but really shouldnt be in charge of these huge RVs w/o some sort of testing.
    It's hard to compare the 2 of them, but your right. Each has it's own set of issues to deal with.....

    ..Avoiding any alcohol while out and avoiding any alcohol within 24hrs of launch is usually the best bet. I drink at home now and can't recall the last drink I had out. Wait, it was on the Vegas strip where I was staying. Ok to get nice and lit up there and walk all around, as long as you dont trip on your own vomit I suppose....

  8. #8
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    MN
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,276
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked: 542 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanadarko View Post
    The only problem with this is that drinking is a conscious choice. You make a decision to drink and if it was too much - thats your problem.

    Now, the geriatric issue - thats a whole nother problem.
    Those people are getting old through no fault of their own but really shouldnt be in charge of these huge RVs w/o some sort of testing.
    It's hard to compare the 2 of them, but your right. Each has it's own set of issues to deal with.....

    ..Avoiding any alcohol while out and avoiding any alcohol within 24hrs of launch is usually the best bet. I drink at home now and can't recall the last drink I had out. Wait, it was on the Vegas strip where I was staying. Ok to get nice and lit up there and walk all around, as long as you dont trip on your own vomit I suppose....
    The only problem with this is that driving a large RV is a conscious choice. You make a decision to purchase and drive a large RV if it was too much(due to age) - that's apparently is not the geriatrics problem.

    As you can see, these issues are more similar than one may think. It's just that one issue is more bastardized than the other.

  9. #9
    Banned or Retired
    Member Since
    May 2010
    Location
    West o' the Big Crick
    Trucker?
    5 Years
    Age
    46
    Posts
    8,461
    Thanks
    9,450
    Thanked: 9,574 Times
    My Truckers Blog
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanadarko View Post
    Progressive usually insures anyone. In fact, we were talking about a client that pays over $2000/mo for insurance in the Bronx....

    No matter what, be prepared to PAY-
    What I was going to suggest.



    I'm staying out of the drunks vs. geezers discussion.

  10. #10
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Flint, MI
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Posts
    265
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked: 146 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Injun View Post
    I'm staying out of the drunks vs. geezers discussion.
    Whyfor Injun? The geezers part hitting too close to home?

    - Steven

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to ZVar For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •