Backing up trailers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Ddr1992 579, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Usually the tight spots I hit no problem, 1 or 2 pull ups. Give me huge a spot ill take 4-5 pull ups Lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MiFamilyGuy

MiFamilyGuy Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2012
    What's harder than a short trailer is 2 short trailers. I didn't pull a gravel trailer long enough to master it but I had a couple successful 90 degree backs that made me feel like a super trucker for a minute. Then I got to the next farm and had to try it again.... Not a super trucker any more.

okiedokie Thanks this.
  4. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    I also run into difficulties backing bobtail. It’s a pride swallowing siege, and I have to sit there and think about it, and I still get it wrong. My wife will no longer ride in a car I’m driving. She reminds me her 4Runner isn’t 70’ long. So I just sit there, and think she’s driving like a maniac because 4 wheelers are so low to the ground I feel like I’m going 100 mph. I just sit in back and whisper “we’re all going to die”. LOL

5. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    When 2 pivot combinations have a short tongue it's nearly impossible to back much firther the overall truck length. Longer tounge 2 pivot combos(, T&T, A train, ect.)can be maneuvered.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    p.s. I hate backing my boat trailer! It's not because of the trailer length. It's because I can't see a #### thing with the mirrors on my SUV. That and the #### thing keeps beeping incessantly because the backup camera thinks I'm about to hit the boat. lol

7. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    When you see the trailer wheels in your mirror start turning the other way. Slow & steady driver....

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  8. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    I LOL’d at this.

I have friend who asked if I could back up his boat. I said “nope, not a chance.” There was no upside, at best I make it look easy and that’s what is expected…at worse I #### up and have to go on a two state high speed pursuit that ends with me buying McNuggets in a drive through and getting tazed in the ‘nards.

9. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I used to work at a food distribution place in New Jersey. The warehouse manager (native New Jersey) told me that some Werner driver didn't check with him and took half an hour backing into a door. Our doors were super easy to back into. She came in and he told her "that was some fancy backing, but I need it in door number 6, not 1!"

10. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    I used to take trainees to our rail to truck yard.

Had a double track and a crossing to the area between the double track and the third track.

Told them to drive thru the crossing, turn right, get straight and back down between the tracks never telling them that the 3rd track was not parallel to the first two.

Experienced guys had no issues but school guys couldn't do it as the kept comparing their position to each side, constantly looking back and forth and over correcting until I stopped them and made them look forward at the snake trail our tracks were making in the dust.

After explaining the issues I would have them watch one side and occasionally check the other and suddenly they could back down the whole half mile like they actually knew how. A few actually said they learned more that afternoon than they did in school.

11. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    I don’t know lately I can’t back up a bobtail. Always oversteering, time for a break from drivinf

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.