Canada Runs

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by crabcracker, Jul 30, 2013.

1. FwL

FwL Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Sandpoint, ID

I'm a company driver, so I only go where they tell.me, and I don't deal with the paperwork.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. keepontrucking81

keepontrucking81 Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not talking about paper work. What i meant was,Is there good pay to make runs to Alaska?

4. lexmark

lexmark Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Not sure if you're saying that's a good thing or a bad thing.

5. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    I am a company driver myself. I was just wondering how crossing the border in the truck works?

6. FwL

FwL Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Sandpoint, ID

For me it would just be more mileage. My company rarely goes there, but if they ever offer me one of those runs, I'll be all over it.

I can describe a typical run for me.

I pick up a load of DOW boards in Auburn headed for Delta, BC.

This shipper doesn't deal with customs at all, and they refuse to FAX any paperwork for you, so first stop is Earnie's in Kent to FAX all the paperwork (BOL and Customs invoice) to my dispatcher. He will FAX me back an EDI lead sheet. I present this sheet along with the customs invoice to the officer at the border.

So I've got my lead sheet and I'm headed north on I5.

Most times, I don't expect to make it past Ferndale.

There are zero places to park in the Vancouver lowlands (worse than trying to find a place to park in Tacoma) so unless I have the time to get in, get unloaded and get back out, I'll park at Custer rest area for the night.

While driving north, I expect to receive a Qualcom message that my paperwork has been accepted by Customs. If I don't get a message, I gotta get ahold of my dispatcher and find out what's the deal.

Nine times out of ten the load clears and there's no problem.

But sometimes you have to park at customs and walk across the border to the Broker's office, get the paperwork and take it over to the Customs office. Then you get to sit and wait while they clear or reject the load.

Sometimes you have to get the Broker to call customs and chew them out because the paperwork has been sitting there but nobody bothered to deal with it.

Anyway... it's a good idea to make sure your load is cleared before you get to the border. Cell service can be hit or miss at border crossings. If you run into problems you're either trying to find a pay phone or you're driving back south until you find a place to park where you can use your cell phone.

So if my load is cleared, I'll head for the border first thing in the morning.

Getting into Canada is usually quick and painless for me.

I drive up to the window, shut the truck off (DO NOT pull the air brakes) and present my passport, lead sheet and Customs invoice. They ask me a few questions, glance at the paperwork, scan the barcode on the lead sheet, check to see if the paperwork has been filed, stamp the lead sheet and send me on my way.

Takes all of 5 minutes to cross.

Getting back into the States can be a PITA though. I'll post about that later if I have time.

vikingswen and scottied67 Thank this.
  7. NewNashGuy

NewNashGuy Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    US and Canada
    Some companies do not even pay extra for Canada so you are lucky if you think that you are not being paid enough. Delivering to Canada is not bad but picking up and leaving Canada is a bytch. Us Customs is rude and telling you things that no one has ever told you before and there are no instructions but they expect you to know it. Like at one border cross they get mad if you stop and do not pull up to the window right away and at another border crossing they get mad if you pull up without them waving you in. Um, how about put a ##### sign about that before you yell at me prick. I just wait for them to wave me in at every crossing now after that first time. Yeah Canada loves traffic signals too. The US has a lot of yield signs and stop signs but in Canada there are 500 traffic lights within a mile which increases traffic.

8. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Always some far fetched reason truckers hate going to Canada
    " A few years ago I sat in the Sarnia Customs parking lot 3 days because the 402 was shut down." :biggrin_25521:
    He should have noted it was 1 of the worst SNOW storms to hit that area in past 100 years
    "in Canada there are 500 traffic lights within a mile" :biggrin_25523: And where did you find 500 TRAFFICS lights in 1 mile ?

9. NewNashGuy

NewNashGuy Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    US and Canada
    Look up the definition for the term "exaggeration". Canada has a ton of traffic lights.

10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    My typical Canada load involves picking up a tcalled trailer, the paperwork is in the nose box or in the office at a terminal (if tcalled there). The qualcomm dispatch has an 800 number to the broker for me to call and confirm the PARS sticker number on the paperwork has been faxed to them and cleared for the designated border crossing. If the broker does not have the PaRS in their system, I find a fax machine and make sure they got it. It is also at this point when talking to the broker I discovered I can request the exact border crossing I desire. Last time out of Minnesota, my company had me routed all the way over to Montana to cross up into Alberta for the final in Calgary. I requested to cross in North Dakota and go up through Saskatchewan as it was about 100 miles shorter and I had never been there through or to SK yet.

Coming back. often times the shipper in Canada faxes the paperwork to the broker for me otherwise I will have to do it then wait for a border cross authorization number to come on the qualcomm. Oftentimes this takes about an hour or more, so I just make it 2 hour break then head toward the border. I have a couple of hidey hole spots I like to take an 8 hour sleeper break before crossing into the US. One is a beautiful river up in the Rockies with a river walk that goes on for miles. There is a little swampy area with some resident beavers slapping their tails as they protest my dog's and my presence.

11. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

exaggeration :biggrin_2559: I knew that word long before I read your post , and still does not reflect some of the BS that a lot post on here.

Yes there are more traffic lights in some areas ( usually the newer areas ) as they did not start out with stop / yield signs like many US areas and never went any further.

The hassles getting back into the USA are not Canadas but our own.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.