Comedy writes itself

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by blairandgretchen, May 25, 2018.

1. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    What do those tires weigh?

Bean Jr., DSK333 and skellr Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    Not only that, but what is that bracket rated at? The tires don't weigh much, but it would have been better to hook that chain to the frame instead of the fuel tank bracket. I mean, I'm not willing to hook anything to my fuel tank securement system other than fuel tanks.

Bean Jr. and DSK333 Thank this.
  4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I still don't think that one chain pulling backward at an angle would be better for preventing forward movement than two pulling straight down.

If the coil wasn't in a rack that would be different.

5. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Well, keep in mind that you can't have two pulling straight down, because you can't attach multiple chains to one securement point. But as for the effectiveness of the two different setups, it would depend entirely upon the size of the coils and the size of the timbers in the racks and the distance between them. It would depend on the angle that the coil would be moving if it tipped forward out of the rack. So you can't say one or the other without knowing the specifics, and then doing the math.

Bean Jr. and Bud A. Thank this.
  6. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Now the next question ... As a shipper would you want to load on that banged up unit knowing that they’ve lost a coil before ..

stwik and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Only in the movies.

Maybe there is a way we could greatly simplify the situation a bit. Maybe reduce the amount of tiedowns used to see where they are the most effective. Reduce it down to two tiedowns. Or one tiedown.

No, wait, that would be illogical.

8. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Yes that would be illogical

9. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I for the most part agree with ya, if you can pull down into the racks hard enough it’ll have to come up to get out. However a chain pulling backward coops keep the racks and all from sliding forward. I will note that I rarely see a coil with a chain pulling back like is described.

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    That makes sense. With friction mats being a requirement I would think that downward pressure would be more beneficial to prevent it from sliding forward. Maybe it's a moot point with larger coils. Even if you start from the center and work your way out, the amount of chains needed would eventually end up with chains at an angle anyway.

Me neither, but it just doesn't look quite right.
    steel-coil-transporation-services-los-angeles-southern-ca.jpg

Maybe what bothers me is chains like that would be of better use inside the width of the coil timbers. Then they would also be able to provide enough downward pressure to keep the coil from poping out/over the coil timber.

Like that chain in the far front preventing backward movement. Sure, the straighter the chain is towards the movement it's trying to prevent the stronger it's going to be. But it really doesn't do anything to prevent forward movement. If it was inside the width of the coil timber it could also prevent forward movement, at least better than it would outside the timber. Maybe it would provide some redundancy, you may not have each chain doing the best job it can, but It wouldn't be the only chain trying to do it.

This is a bad image for an example. :) I'm sure they didn't take into account the securement regs for weight. They arn't exempt just because it'a a coil. It was from California.

11. hindsy

hindsy Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2010
    USA
    I think this NFHR (NO FREAKING HEADACHE RACK) Transportation out of Stupidville!!!!! Wow

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.