Conceal carry??

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TooTiredToTalk, May 25, 2022.

1. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    Legality doesn’t come across my plate when I consider my personal safety. That can all be argued after the fact. Did you not hear about the recent texas shooting of an elementary school? Monsters lurk, they do not care, therefore the laws are to be broken. I carry a 9mm with two spare 15rd mags in my bag, and a Remington 870 in the sleeper, chambered in slugs/and buckshot. The laws will not matter to you if you’re breathing through a chest hole. I also live and work 95% in texas, so it’s easy for me to say.

Your comfort depends on you and your circle too. Example: a man killed his wife three miles from my house, he was running around hiding. My neighbors were sitting on their porches loaded to the gills waiting. Gun comfort through you and your circle will make the idea of carrying non fluid. You just carry, don’t be an idiot about and it’ll feel like carrying a wallet.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rockeee

rockeee Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Kalama, Wa
    Use to carry when over the road. Lol glad I did when down in Long Beach during the riots. Probably would now also if OTR, but would not be advertising it online.

4. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    IDK, one of the drawbacks to gun laws and even debate on them becoming so toxic and polarizing is that a common sense federal law that would allow folks such as OTR drivers to carry nationwise become an impossible political task to accomplish, despite the common sense behind that simple idea.

5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I don't know your level of experience but...
    I would advise you to go to your local range and take a basic introduction to handgun course to start. Then rent some range time w different pistols and decide what feels best, shoots well and may be one you'd feel comfortable owning, shooting and carrying.
    Buy it w a comfortable holster. Many styles to chose from.

Obtain your local jurisdiction permit to carry.
    Along w 2 or 3 states non-resident permits.
    I have my states and 2 others.

I use this one but there are several out there.
    Handgunlaw.us

Then go trucking and never mention it again.

It is a very heavy and serious responsibility and should not be taken lightly. Sounds cliche but is so true.

6. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    You don’t necessarily need a gun to be able to defend yourself. I carry a billyclub in my truck (doubles as a tire thumper) and I have a can of wasp spray (easy to aim, blinds your attacker instantly). All legal in every state.

And I’ve never had to use either one yet.

7. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    1) There is no federal law prohibiting you from carrying a firearm in your CMV

2) States, municipalities & districts vary in what's legal & what's not. You need to know what is legal in every state, municipality & district.

3) Most, if not all trucking companies do not allow you to have a firearm in their vehicles.

4) Most companies (shippers & receivers) that you will go to do not allow fire arms on their property.

In reference to # 3 & 4:
    Once you have been warned that firearms are not permitted... and you take a fire arm into or onto their property.. is at minimum, trespassing by law. Some situations in some fed, state & local statutes makes it a felony once you have been warned not to take a firearm into or onto their property.

You still need to determine how important it is to your personal safety... and if its worth it to keep a firearm with you & keep your mouth shut.

Boondock, Bean Jr., 88 Alpha and 3 others Thank this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i cannot advise you what to do.

if you carry, even though NOT a federal law on the books to do so, in a big rig, you risk getting fired.

then try and get another job, cuz the former employer WILL TELL any new potential employer you violated thier rules on weapons.

your chances of getting another job are slim to none.

get into a gun fight, sure, you may save your life, but do you carry CCW insurance..??

i do, it costs me $500 a year, up to a million dollars in protection for the lawyers to defend me, cuz i (or you or anyone else) is GOING TO NEED a high dollar CRIMMINAL lawyer, since you committed murder, until PROVEN it was self defense and a justified shooting.

otherwise, if you do not have insurance and cannot afford that high dollar criminal lawyer..??? you're gonna end up with a public defender....say hello to the Bar Hotel for xx number of years.

i have up to a million dollars in CIVIL lawsuit protection, cuz I WILL GET SUED for shooting the "good boy that never does nuffin' wrong"

unlimited coverage, not a one time deal...

you got that..???

so, you do what you think you need to do, or not do.

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  9. Chieftains

Chieftains Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    Drove all over the hoods an ghettos. Never had a problem. Park safe. Don't interact. Don't open your door.

Odd crackhead Don't do squat besides beg. An ya tell em to get

10. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    NY used to be automatically 1 year in prison if caught with gun.

Illinois don’t accept most out of state concealed licenses.
    you had to keep weapon locked in a box on one side of vehicle, ammo locked in a separate box on other side or some such nonsense.

11. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.