CPM + MPH = $

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by 9jgf9er, Jul 24, 2021.

1. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Where? What OTR company is paying every last one of their drivers 80k? It's only the upper 5 to 10 percent of OTR drivers seeing that kind of money. It would take 62 cpm at 2500 miles per week to do it. I know LTL/LINEHAUL and other specialized hauling pay that. I am not including them, I'm talking solely OTR, because I think that's what the thread is gearing towards.

slow.rider, D.Tibbitt and BigBob410 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Maybe he's clutching for range shifts and splits? Working the right thumb and the left leg? That would balance him out

4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Ahhh the great cpm pay exposed for what it is... dispatchers control your paycheck ... nothing more nothing less.... A ####ty dispatcher will not make you anymore money at a company that pays .60cpm vs a company that pays .40cpm with a really good dispatcher

5. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    Oh I didn’t catch it was OTR only. Didn’t read that into it. Linehaul really isn’t specialized. Quite honestly if only 5-10% is all that’s making good money, then I guess there’s no money in OTR. So if an OTR driver is making 50k that’s what they choose to do. That’s okay. It’s not all about money. Some drivers have the perfect job for their situation, and they’re happy with it and what it pays.
    Here’s the big picture story. There really is a driver shortage. A clean CDL is gold right now. 45 cpm is garbage for a good experienced driver. Companies pay that because drivers line up to take it. There are a lot of high paying driving jobs open. When good experienced drivers fill those jobs, those crap paying companies will have to pony up or lose customers. It’s simple economics.
    Where I work, anyone working at least 40 hours is making 65k+. That’s for 40. We have 600 empty seats nationwide. But, it’s not OTR.

bryan21384 and slow.rider Thank this.
  6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    That seems like a lot of work, gotta drive 3000+ miles per week.
    Plus, gotta drive fast!
    And have to shift!
    What about the shoulder..?
    I’m going to Schneider.
    Sit back and enjoy the ride, it’ll get there when the truck does.

7. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Well your company has 600 nationwide. It's like well past 5 million CDL holders. There are not enough of those high paying jobs to go around. In fact, they are few and far between. You gotta have OTR runners man. You've done well, and I'm happy for you, but not everyone can or will take that path. If a company is paying 45 cpm, which you can make a living on, it's not because that's what people will take. These companies pay what they can afford based on their business model. Why would they operate the check book when conventional wisdom says those drivers won't make it past a year? Then you said drivers with a clean record is golden. About that clean record part........a large number of us out here are lacking that, myself included so what are we talking about? I personally like OTR. I'm happy where I'm working and it would take the real deal to pry me away. 80k entices a lot of people to get a license, but they don't tell you that a small percentage of the industry actually gets that type of money.

sevenmph Thanks this.
  8. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    That is the truth right there. A ####ty dispatcher dont make anyone money whether it's percentage pay or mileage pay.

slow.rider, D.Tibbitt and sevenmph Thank this.
  9. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    That 18 speed made me look like Charles Atlas!

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  10. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I’d rather just get paid by the hour and drive as slow as I want.

slow.rider and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  11. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    After reading this I'm convinced I'am gonna put a 6+4 back in my truck.. so I can buff up

Dockbumper, slow.rider and Kyle G. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.