Decker Joke

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Firered, Jul 9, 2014.

1. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I'll have to agree.they are the best.Actually I had a lot of fun when I was there.Could care less if I ever passed,lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    derwood what schools does Decker hire from? I'm in the hiring area and am considering driving. I see the ads on Craigslist from time to time. PM me if you don't want to post it. I know someone from my area pulls FB for you guys because his truck is at the local TS pretty much every weekend. Thanks

4. derwood

derwood Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I sent you a message

5. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    derwood, thanks for the well thought out response. I will admit I hopped on the bandwagon and have knocked decker a few times. I see what you mean with the US vs THEM mentality that happens a lot at most companies. I have talked to a lot of former drivers gone dispatcher, and other than being home every day most of them long for the simplicity of driving and managing one truck versus having to babysit 50, on top of the office stress. You are right, The way I see some behave out here I can see why some companies have the rules they do.

One thing I have always wondered, and I am not knocking decker for this, why pay for a prospective hire to come to an interview or orientation? Shouldn't that be on the employee, not the employer? I mean Mc Donalds and Walmart are not going to send a taxi to my door and put me in a hotel for two days.

A lot of people who apply at a job, get a free ride, then something pops up at orientation and they are not qualified. I think that is where a lot of the one post hit and runs on here come from. (not this thread specifically but the whole website). They come up with some bad things to say that might sound believable. Just like a jilted lover "how dare they not want me!"

truckinmike1984 Thanks this.
  6. derwood

Sep 14, 2012
    I know most companies do things simular to us which is we run all the MVR,DAC,CSA, Criminal all before they come in, just like we verifiy all employers back 3 years. but because of the competive nature of filling trucks we will bring a guy in if we dont have the criminal back because we trust he has been honest and up front on his application there is nothing there. then while in class we get it back and well what do you know, something on there that as he says " oh that, well it was years ago, or sorry that slipped my mind". Or sometimes on company verifications we will have the dates but not all the details and we take his word and then like just happened a guy had flunked a drug test and we are just finding out about it now.
    there is always a reason, we dont do it for the Hell of it. it costs thousands of dollars per person to bring a driver in, it does not make good business sence to spend all that money on a guy we are planning on getting rid of anyways

loose_leafs and truckinmike1984 Thank this.
  7. Wingnut1

Wingnut1 Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2012
    The Mitten
    I got a bad taste from Decker last year. I had applied for the flatbed side and everything was looking good. Then my mom got real sick and I told the recruiter I would need to put things on hold. Then she passed away and this joker was blowing my phone up the day of and the day after the funeral wanting to know what the hold up was. Needless to say, after I got done talking to him, they don't call me any more. That was AFTER I told him I would be in touch when I was ready to go on the road again.

8. derwood

Sep 14, 2012
    sorry to hear that Wingnut, that recruiter isnt here anymore and am sorry to hear about your mom. I once called Melton to see what they pay, we do that often to companies to make sure we are competitve, anyways I still get an automated call to my cell once a month for last year LOL

9. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Well if you were a company desperate for driver's, making them pay their own way to orientation isn't a great way to convince them to sign on with you. I wouldn't even consider doing it. How many people would drive hours away just for an interview, then have to drive back and then somehow get back and get your truck, not many.

10. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    I have done just that and would do it again if I found a favorable company. A company that I have never worked for owes me nothing.
    But that is one reason I will never work for a company that's more than a few hours from where I live. If a job is really that good I can pack up and move if I have to. I am single and don't have much stuff. I've played the "living 4 hours from the terminal" game before. If you want to go home in THEIR truck, you are at the mercy of them, their freight and their freight lanes.

11. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Not a bad system, but I have a great job and my home terminal is far away, doesn't matter as I never see it. I wouldn't turn down a great paying job because of location, it is trucking after all and where you are based doesn't mean much. Not saying you are wrong, I just look at it differently.

loose_leafs Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.