depression

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by 4noReason, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    When I first started I hated backing....its just something that you have to practice at to get better. I would start my day early--5-530am--so that when I'm ready to shut down for the day, the truck stops were still wide open. And when I shut down, I didn't just shut down for the night. I would back up 10-15 times. practice is the only way you will learn how to do it. Find a truck with nothing around it, back up next to it a couple times, then go park somewhere else in case he wanted the solitude while he could get it. Work your way up to backing in between two trucks...just keep practicing...if I had time on a load, I'd even stop in the middle of the day and do a few backs, just so I could get out and stretch my legs a little..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. camaro68

camaro68 Medium Load Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Tennessee
    Sometimes it helps to look at tough situations at work as a challenge. When your backing consider it a challenge and your not going to let it get the best of you. Keep a positive outlook, this is just the beginning and things will smooth out. Everything will fall into place, home time, pay, becoming an owner operator. Stay positive and enjoy achieving the goals you have set for yourself. God Bless!!

jxu417 and CondoCruiser Thank this.
  4. ladywrongway03

ladywrongway03 Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    trotwood oh
    we all have had that problem but one day you'll back up without stressing on which way to turn the steering wheel and find out that its going to be alright

5. KingTrucker

KingTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Definitely don't get depressed driver. I'm fairly new to the industry myself and I am also having issues with confidence related to backing. However, because of positivity from my peers and knowing in my heart that some day soon I will be a great driver, I am determined. You will be fine. Stay SAFE out there driver!

6. STL1

STL1 Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    This may sound silly but it's a great book. Wish they had it on CD. You would just need to read a bit at a time when you get a chance. It's only a few bucks and definitely worth a try. Good luck!
    Feeling Good: The New Mood
    Therapy [Paperback]

David D. Burns

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  7. .honeybadger.

.honeybadger. Road Train Member

Sep 30, 2012
    FL
    I found that taking the time to try and practice for a few minutes in the day when the truck stops are as close to empty as they will get helped me to gain a lot of confidence. As long as the load permits, take a few minutes. Whrn I first started, I was having the most troubke with pull-throughs because I got gypped in my OTR training and nly got 3 days with a coac and had not had the chance to do a pull through so I had to learn the setup and everything on my own. When i was sent solo and needed to usr the bathroom, I made a pont to hit rest areas to practice pull throughs and now Ive got it down. It will come with time and practice. Your fear will gradually fade. Try to relax and enjoy the ride, driver

8. passion4polishing

passion4polishing Road Train Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Millions of drivers before you were terrible at backing, and then got better. It takes time and diligence. When I upgraded I still wasn't any good at backing. I can't tell you how many times an absolute mental breakdown was averted because another driver saw I wasn't getting it and spotted for me. After about a month on the road by myself it started to come together; It didn't always go in on the first shot, but a pull up or two and I was in. With about a year in now a tough spot looks like a fun challenge rather than a nightmare. The driving will get better in time. In the mean time always GOAL when you're not 100% sure.

Depression, however, is another matter. Like someone else posted: Keep busy. If you're not getting miles and you have a good service record start making noise about it. Be professional, but make it known that you need more miles. The only way I make it through a 34 is to space my phone calls to loved ones evenly throughout, otherwise it gets awful lonely by yourself with nothing to do.

I wish you the best; I honestly dont know how you family folks do it.

9. Sheriff1/6

Sheriff1/6 Medium Load Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Boise, ID
    You've been given a lot of good advice here. Try and relax, take several deep breathes before you back and imagine you what you are going to do before you do it. Take your time. I hate backing, but it is getting better.

Get yourself a laptop, cell phone with internet connection, and skype. Staying connected with friends and family is very important. I know guys who were overseas and called home every night and talked for hours. It helped them deal with being so far away. (I was one of them.) Find some books to read, get out of your truck and exercise. Run, jump rope, build up a sweat. Cardiovascular exercise is one of the best treatment for depression and PTSD. Find something to try and focus on.

Hang in there Troop, keep pressing forward and you'll be ok.

jxu417 and Skydivedavec Thank this.
  10. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    WoW! I've never expierianced those kind of feelings or emotions. My first couple of years driving were probably the best years of my life. The backing skills will come to you but the loneliness and missing the family will never go away. Find something that will get you home weekly, makes all the difference in the world.

CondoCruiser Thanks this.
  11. Driver of the year

Driver of the year Medium Load Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tampa FL
    What i did in my free time at an empty dock was Practice and practice, that will come. Now on the Depression part, i hear you. I tried twice the over the road thing and twice i only lasted two months! I personally could not be away from home and thought that part of my life was just going away when a my friends and family were enjoying life and im in a truck stop in minnesota with two cow haulers with their engines rooming while im trying to sleep. You said you want to do intermodal? thats what i did and i said it before, Driving Schools tell everyone in the class, you have to go over the road in order to find o job? not true, so if i were you, stick in there, get a year over the road and doors will open.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.