Flatbed driver looking for a change.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Stone Dude, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If it were me I’d look at pulling a tanker or something else that would provide a challenge. I’m not familiar with your pay structure but also keep in mind that your accessorial pay will be going away and if you go into reefer or van you’ll be chasing miles to make your money.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    I'd strongly consider Maverick's glass division.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I like it, get to know the plants well but customers are different. All 50 states plus Canada.

6. Stone Dude

Stone Dude Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Iowa
    Honestly, I'd prefer long trips. It's rare I ever get a drive day, as I end up loading and unloading every day, sometimes more than once, and all that time securing and tarping, then unsecuring and untarping just eats up time for little benefit. Though I must admit I'm no super-trucker. I've never been late, but I'm not one of those guys who kills themselves to be there as fast as they can.

As for home time, I'm pretty flexible. I'm single and don't have much family I still talk to. Before I got transferred to the dedicated account I'm on now I was staying out 4-6 weeks at a time and it never bothered me.

7. Stone Dude

Sep 20, 2016
    Iowa
    I'm in central Iowa.

8. Stone Dude

Sep 20, 2016
    Iowa
    I don't know about glass. When I was at Instructor Training most of the class was Glass guys and not a one of them had much good to say about it.

Truckermania Thanks this.
  9. already gone

already gone Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Western New York
    Do you want to stay out, or go home? Whats the goal here?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Same here I can never do long haul, hats off to those that do run 600+ day after day. Thats why I started off doing food service rather than the common do your 1st year otr

already gone Thanks this.
  11. Paddlewagon

Paddlewagon Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Llano Estacado
    Yea,them boys got some mighty fine iron......they got a sister outfit called Accord Transport(Chandler,Ok.) I think they are exclusively propane transporters. All O/O's and they NEVER advertise..........heard that they have a wait list.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  12. Paddlewagon

Paddlewagon Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Llano Estacado
    I was in the same boat when I was skateboarding. So #### sick and tired of the short hops and endless lumber tarp deployments(looking at you Melton Truck Lines) I came across Hunt Transportation(Omaha). They ran my buttocks off and I bet I can count on 1 hand how many times I threw vinyl in 18 months. I loved that gig,but had to depart due to family health issues. Flatbedding can be fun and challenging,you just gotta haul the right freight ;););)

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  13. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Where I'm at we've got guys who do dedicated LTL small dealer freight and I do those every now and then, but I'm happy to be doing something different all the time. It's still flatbed, but long trips are common, and tarping is usually pretty square loads if at all. It really all depends on the freight your company hauls as to what you do. Plenty of flatbed freight that's interesting, and you don't deal with the huge amount of ######## door swingers do.

• Truckers Report Jobs