Flatbed options

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by NYCgorilla, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NYCgorilla

NYCgorilla Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2020
    I'm going to call tomorrow morning and see.

I'll let you know.

4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I dove trucks like that all over the Northeast and Mid Atlantic for 20 Plus years......

They will get the job done.......

Dave1837 and NYCgorilla Thank this.
  5. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Probably won’t be too heavy if you knock all the rust off, and good luck finding a TS that can put those Dayton wheels on right. Don’t get the drives right a wheel will spin and cut the valve stem off.
    You can do better.

Dino soar and Dave1837 Thank this.
  6. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Me and my friend were told to take a steer tire off an old LN8000 that had dayton wheels. I was 16 and had no idea what I was doing (his uncle's backwoods garage) I spun all the lug nuts off and the wheel wouldn't budge so we decided to smack it with a sledge. When we did, all those wedges went shooting across the garage and into the wall...lesson learned! LOL

7. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    You could still get a full mechanical E-7. They offered them in the vocational units. The 1st gen vmac1&2 is just and electronic gov on the back of the p7100. And you can turn em back to full mech by swapping out pumps and setting up the linkages.

NYCgorilla Thanks this.
  8. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Well yes those trucks will pull the load. The problem is that those trucks really are not comfortable especially the r model.

I'm all for old trucks as much or more than anyone else but Camelback suspension and no air ride on the cab and Dayton Wheels is all outdated stuff now. It's true that you'll have a hard time finding someone to put the wheels on straight, and I believe without hub piloted hubs you have to pull the axle out to get to the brakes.

To be honest if you had to have something like that, it's best just to put an air ride rear end on it and put air ride on the cab. Never underestimate the difference in ride and how much that will beat the hell out of you. Getting air ride that's Hub piloted and change the front hubs over and then at least it's modern.

But the other thing honestly is my own personal advice is never buy a day cab. I would never ever ever under any circumstances give up my sleeper. It's more comfortable you have more room you can sleep while you're getting unloaded you can take a nap if you want to if you go farther than you thought you were going you could stay in the truck the advantages are endless.

Really look for a Peterbilt or a Freightliner or Kenworth or Western Star that has a big cam and has air ride and all that good stuff. Then you can be comfortable. And it will have nice big fuel tanks on it so you can Cruise comfortably until you get back to your favorite fueling locations now that the price of fuel is going to continue to go up. By the way thanks to everyone that made that happen.

Mack trucks are super heavy duty and great for dump trucks and low beds and stuff like that, but if you're going to do any traveling at all even Regional even 50-100 miles, trust me find something with air ride and an air ride cab.

9. NYCgorilla

NYCgorilla Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2020
    Thank
    Thanks for this. Trust me....still keeping my eye out for a good big cam as well. Keeping your advice in mind.

10. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    And don't forget if you're looking for a mechanical engine in the early 90s they made the mechanical n14 which is excellent.

I'm not as big of a fan of the big cam 4 with the low-flow but if you had one and it was serviced properly they tell me that they will be okay. Or you can change it over to high-flow if you wanted to and then that's a good big cam.

So basically you could get a mechanical big cam, or mechanical n14, up to I think about maybe 93?

So your search is basically 80s and early 90s. You should be able to find something with air ride Rears and if it doesn't have an air ride cab you can always make it into that but those air ride rears are just absolutely a necessity. And a sleeper.

What is your budget? Sometimes I see trucks with the big cam for sale.

11. LTL Bull

LTL Bull Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2020
    Can also mean a tandem axle tractor that has a dead axle that is a tag or pusher. Different regions different slang

cke Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.