flatbed vs. dry van

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by FloridaDudester, Jun 18, 2019.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    No. But right now - many will. Thus prolonging the current situation.

Nostalgic and spyder7723 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    This forum is full of threads on this question, and yet everyone who asks tells themself the same thing; "oh, but I'll do it different!" Or "these guys who do it all the time don't know what they're talking about"

And along comes the next guy.

rahtek, Nostalgic, Dino soar and 4 others Thank this.
  4. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    You’re on here expecting 3600 miles a week and you wanna make fun of other people?

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I’d delay August till November. Maybe even next March.

That said, I entered in January 2015 into a really low market.

That said, $1.67 all miles that year turned to $1.92, $2.10, $2.40 to YTD 2019 -$4.22 - in a year that has proved challenging to hands with way more experience than me.

I can’t replicate myself, and my situation may fall flat tomorrow - but I won’t stand here and tell you it’s impossible.

@Ruthless as always had pretty sage advice in here, yet again - if you could replicate him, I’d be surprised.

It’s all keypad talk till the rubber hits the road.

6. old iron

old iron Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    How on Earth are you going to run a completely separate business from trucking, dispatch yourself, take care of invoicing, collections, gov mandated paperwork ECT...
    While learning everything from scratch...
    While beating the bush trying to secure your own high dollar customers. And I might add as you know nothing about logistics, geographic lanes and rates. You will be trying to sell them something you know nothing about...

While driving 3,600 miles a week EVERY week?

Anybody even slightly associated with trucking is laughing his ars off right now.

First step... Get the "miles" thing out of your head.
    That's idiot talk.
    Your providing a service. Point A to point B.
    Value your time honestly, and the true expenses you will incur to complete the job. Bid accordingly.
    Yes Things generally get broken down by the mile on loads that are +1 day or more to figure expenses.
    Miles mean nothing unless you are competing with a household named carrier with a towel head behind the wheel. Can you do it cheaper than them? Cause with load board freight that is who sets the rate...

Bean Jr., Ruthless and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. FloridaDudester

FloridaDudester Light Load Member

May 13, 2019
    You haven't been paying attention. As I said, I am not going to run every week. I also said, I will likely run only 26 weeks ("1/2 the year, I said). I don't plan on being cheap. I won't take what's on the board for say, 1.50 a mile, except in Florida, I may have to to get to a better lane. For you to assume I know nothing about lanes, seems a safe bet, but you would be wrong. There may be a crisis for many right now. The market will weed out people who work for less than their fixed costs first, and then secondly those that don't cover their variable costs. Let them run for $1.65 / mile. It won't last and their trucks will be available at a bargain soon with a for sale sign in the window.
    who is making fun of anybody? I didn't say anything about doing something every week, ever. I try to help people when I"m in a position to do so. I'm also learning, even from those who dismiss the idea of success. I'm nobody's enemy, that I'm aware of anywhere. I apologize if I come off knowing something. I get that there is pain. Every industry has it, at different times. I will make a decision based on market data, my observations on the load board (yes, I'm a subscriber, even though I'm not "out there" yet, just to learn) I often play advocate, but there is a method I have that works for me. How will I find time? I will do like I did as a storm season insurance adjuster and work when I want to so I don't exhaust myself. Rates will go back up as long time truckers retire and others realize they had it better and can't handle the lower paying freight. We are in a cycle, I believe. that will recover, provided the economy stays in growth mode. Vote Trump and we all have the best chance of seeing better days. Bless all of you guys, even if you think I'm headed for disaster.

8. FloridaDudester

May 13, 2019
    Hey Dune-T,

You're right. After doing some soul searching, I expect I will rarely run 3,000 miles in a week. 2,500 likely. guys tend to assume if a number is represented it is implied to be every week, or most of the time, or something. Maybe running 26 weeks in the first year. After that, we'll see if its been reward enough for me to continue on. I'm not old, but I'm 55 and used to a somewhat leisurely life that can and does get to be stale, believe it or not. Everyday, I'm seeing more of what the guys are referring to as "tough" as I follow some truckers on youtube and follow the DAT truckers edge pro, trying to learn the lanes, so I don't hop into this and plop down hard earned cash foolishly without direction. I can make mistakes in here and it costs me nothing! I estimate my cost, owning my truck and trailer to be around $1.00, not paying myself anything. It will probably me 1.25 because I will only drive 26 weeks or so of the year. There is no question for me to do what I want, I need to be well above 2.50 all miles. Can I do it? With a FlatBed, maybe from what I'm seeing, but maybe not. I know where the spot market is. It's not there, right now.

9. FloridaDudester

May 13, 2019
    I just saw this post and that may be very sage advice. Here's my thinking (honest, I think): Since, I'm looking at this to augment my well established business, not as a life supporting business, I'm going to run when I want to run and no more. I may find an employee to drive my truck (when I get it), but I probably won't as I've always been more of a do for myself kind of guy, than a great, trusting manager to delegate authority. If I thought Trump wouldn't win re-election, I wouldn't go into trucking at all. I would only buy 1 or two more house to add to my rental homes, and try to hang on to what I have and find another hobby.
    I'm betting (and hoping) that trump will be re-elected, conservative gov't will not favor the epa, will continue to favor capitalism and business expansion. I'm also hoping that Amazon will be broken up, but that's a side note, that I think would help some of our industry who ships freight. A very cautious individual, as I am not that much, would wait til the election to go into trucking, given good status quo for themselves currently. Last year wasn't terrible, as I understand it, but this year has progressively gotten weak, at least in the spot market, for 80% of frieght. Tell me if I'm wrong about that, please. Barring any change in fundamentals of the trucking industry, don't you believe this is a normal down cycle that occurs every so many years? That's my thinking, but I'm trying to learn what else may be affecting the trucknig industry. It certainly isn't Uber, Prime or Amazon is it? I mean they have lower costs than the rest of us, but still they have huge overhead to run their larger infrastructures. I do need to save another 30k before going in, minimum. that could be a very good quarter or two quarters if my business is slow. That savings I need to get good equipment for cash. I already have 25k available to invest, so I'm saying 55k to buy maybe a 20k truck, 10k in improvements if needed and 30k for a flat bed, maybe less if I can get a deal from someone closing shop. In earnest, I won't be ready till the end of August or most likely. The more I look at it, the more I realize I need to have a very good trailer and a well serviced truck. I absolutely will not finance either. in order to keep my fixed costs low.

Time flies and I am dealing with my folks, with one that is very sick (At Moffitt all day today) and I am the one to carry that torch for them. I promise, I will know more about this by the time I"m really ready. I'd like to see the exodus start to slow down. Right now, I fear its just getting started. I reserve the right to learn and correct yesterday's mistakes! Thank you for your positive, yet cautionary advise. I'm hearing you.

10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    The funny thing is, for all the complaints shout this being a poor year, its still well above average. 17 and 18 was so good people have forgotten what a typical freight market looks like so they think this is a very bad year.

FloridaDudester Thanks this.
  11. F4T6UY

F4T6UY Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Very South Texas
    I think your attitude and approach is a successful strategy that rewards, and you are a person that could in the very least make a living out here where many others fall flat on their face. Many others that want this more than you. Mostly because they fail to research and understand all the angles.

But, I’m betting, through your research journey, you find this is not the business opportunity you think it is and decide to invest in more properties or whatever next tickles your fancy.

This down cycle you speak of, is fairly misinterpreted by you earlier, I believe. It’s my understanding that 2018 was like one the best years in forever ago for rates. Now, rates are coming way down. People got in on that high wave last year, so there will be lots of people crashing this year because they don’t know how to manage cycles, or themselves, for sure. But as low as rates are this year compared to last, they are still higher than they were in 2017 and years before that. This is the market. This is the norm. At best. The down cycle is coming, and August is too early to catch it, imo.

But I tend to know diddlysquat. I’m a company driver researching my own path to O/O, for what my words are worth.

But you’re smarter than most, and it takes business savvy to be truely successful out here. And for that reason, I’m following your posts because you ask good questions that most are just to lazy or embarrassed to ask and I’ll piggyback off your ambition for the sake of my own journey, if you don’t mind...

Good luck to you in whatever you, as I’m sure you will be successful.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.