Flatbedding

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Mattflat362, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I would rather be folding my 100lb tarp in blowing heavy rain than not be.

Off and on since 1997... I have been outside in some serious nasty icy foggy wet miserable crap....fighting a tarp....duck walking in Winter gear....chaining, strapping, tarping, whatever.....and I look up and thank God.

Flatbed for life.

When I hear, "no tarp needed driver", I think...says you! Why not? LOL.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I agree. "foul" weather is a relief because it's not the norm. Mother Nature is a beautiful gal.

Mattflat362 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I had a driver with me, we both were covered wagon. That tarp on the ravens is one peice. Something like 12 wide and 50+ long. At a mill in some tiny hollar in PA one day, the wind was focused by the narrow valley which speeded it up. Gusts to 60 or more.

Tarp it drivah.

I had a 5th of whiskey before I tackled that fight with the other driver. Got mine tied down and worked on his.

I don't know about you but that darn thing almost swept away to the next state over yonder never to be seen again We had to throw binders on every little flapping edge.

I will never forget that day. That whiskey made it possible to get it done without too much OW. It was a particularly happy three truck convoy going thru Spaceport Ohio. What with all the law around in those days at the line... paranoia was unnecessary.

FerrissWheel and Mattflat362 Thank this.
  5. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
  6. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Roll Tarps for us older guys. LOL No way could I fight a tarp these days. Shoot I'm in trouble fighting a chip bag. :mad: Age and health issues sure suck.
    Was looking at the Prices of new Roll tarps today. Man I think I could hire loads Tarped cheaper then that. Figure if I can run 5 years. That will finish me up for sure.

OLDSKOOLERnWV, Mattflat362 and brsims Thank this.
  7. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    So you drank whiskey and then drove?Not smart x1heavy.

4mer trucker and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I think he drinks ALOT and then posts ALOT on TTR. :biggrin_25512::occasion5:

Woodys, spyder7723, IluvCATS and 11 others Thank this.
  9. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    He only said he drank and secured. No rules against that. At least I hope .

x1Heavy and Truckermania Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I know it.

It was a different time back then.

In terms of drinking and rolling in a Semi the 1991 year was the dividing line.

Before that year no one cared what you did in a semi as long you did not wreck it, were on time and so forth. In fact you were given some latitude because after all you were the King of the Road and knew best.

This new generation growing up today don't understand that in the 60's and early 70's Drinking, Drugs and pot was part of life everywhere. Meth was just getting started on the west coast and there were cocaine or 8 balls to keep mothers going. And whatever stress at work or pains was taken care of later at night at home with a 5th of your favorite spirit.

Today because of many laws made in 1991 and on as the Nation progressed into the so called war against drugs that is still ongoing. It has morphed into a war to seriously deny the Nation's People from non Medical or Politically addictive policies.

I don't understand yet what does it serve our Government to be where they are today against a People who are increasingly unable to make a decision not to participate in such drugs, drinking and things WELL beyond simple beer, smoke and pot back then.

There were things we used as children that was really powerful which passes for medicine. I was a kid who was given a pill to make me pay attention. They stopped giving me that when I turned 7 and thus I had my first experiment with Gin and 7Up. Then my first smoke and so on. (And cough...)

I was pretty degenerate by 12...

11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That particular night, drank and secured. Then bunk time. We had too much wind to take a chance on going out into the night. It was getting under the entire tarp causing the truck to be like 20 feet high versus bridges in a bubble.

We had triple tie downs on one side and three forms of knotted half hitch line on each hook down the other side. Then 6 tarp straps over the top of the tarp itself gently as not to crush the sides and ribbing.

Mattflat362 and FerrissWheel Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.