Help obtaining CDL- Need Advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DrivetoDrive, Jan 2, 2018.

1. GypsyWanderlust

GypsyWanderlust Medium Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm not sure where in PA you are but there are a few Sage Schools if you don't mind a commute and fronting the tuition yourself. ~$5300 or so but some companies will pay your tuition back to you over time if you drive for them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DrivetoDrive

DrivetoDrive Bobtail Member

May 26, 2017
    I had eaten a good bit of Chinese food the night before. I have never had sugar in my urine before not do I have any signs of diabetes. I see my family doctor next week and plan to talk to him about the results.

Gunner75 Thanks this.
  4. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Chinese food will definitely add the extra starch and sugars to your glucose levels

midnightlost Thanks this.
  5. midnightlost

midnightlost Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2017
    It's amazing how quickly things can pop up, but it's also amazing what can cause a false-positive to happen.

Be safe, and definitely get the a1c test done to verify if you haven't already.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Remember the body disposes of excess through the Kidneys.

It also relies on other substances to process other necessary things to keep you booted up. Too much of one, or too little of this or that you are in a coma towards death and that will be that.

midnightlost Thanks this.
  7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    When it comes to that sleep study crap tell the examiner to step off. There are NO FMCSA sleep apnea guidelines since Congress slapped their hands several years ago. There are many threads devoted to this topic so I will stop here.

About that sugar spilling into the urine. Most people don't fully understand Diabetes Insulin Sugar and how the cells in the body get and use Glucose (sugar) to fuel them. There are several good books on this topic that all truck drivers should read. If you have (sugar) spilling over into your urine something is not right. I will say the same thing here I have said in many blood pressure threads. Screw this job, it is ABOUT YOUR HEALTH! Just covering up high blood pressure or diabetes for a physical then going back to the same bad eating habits that leads up to this crap is one of the most ignorant things a human can do. Diabetes can BLIND you and high blood pressure can cause strokes that can KILL YOU! What good are you as a provider for your family if you are blind or disabled by a stroke? Enough said, I hope I made my point!

8. midnightlost

midnightlost Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I need more coffee. Read that as important...

Fully agree with everything said though. No job is important enough to kill yourself, others, or get fined over.

9. Gin86

Gin86 Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks for the tag! I'll have to look into some of the places that hire you with a cdl permit. I submitted my application to Schneider last night about the paid cdl program. *fingers crossed*

If for whatever reason you can't take the class until the next one or can't get a job with just your cdl permit, I would start now on turning things around health wise to be safe. That way you'll be fully prepared and pass with ease. I've changed a good bit on what I eat and drinking almost all water and lost 12 lbs in one month. I tend to have that white coat syndrome and my blood pressure and heart rate go higher than normal when I'm at a doctor's office so I'm doing what I can now to keep things low.

TaterFox and midnightlost Thank this.
  10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    There is nothing wrong with coffee. I drink a cup most every morning and late in the evening. The trick here is to drink as your body will let you. I have a small blood pressure machine I use every morning after I take my Lantus and Novologe insulin shots. My BP averages in the 125/70 range most mornings taking no blood pressure medications. If I find my BP has spiked I drink something else. I am retired now. However there is nothing hard about understanding your body and what it is trying to tell you in regard to things like sugar spilling over into your urine or high blood pressure. Drivers that know their health is not good really need to stay on top of this. I lost a good friend about 4 months ago after a massive MI. He worked in the Safety dept of one of the mega carriers.

11. IndianaF150

IndianaF150 Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Dont pay for cdl school, there are co’.s that provide free training.

Sugar, get a prime glucose meter at walmart for $10 bucks and the prime test strips for $9 for 50.

Stay away from bread and all carbs. Test your sugar to see what causes it to rise (carbs). Surprising, you can eat tons of food with diabetes 2, just not many carbs, such as potatos, breads, pasta.

Look at food packages. Dont look for sugar, look for carbs on the nutrition chart. Avoid high carbs.

Think of bread as a candy bar. The worst part of a burger is not the meat, its the carb filled bun. Do you really think that paper thin burger at mcdonalds can get you fat? Its the sugar filled bun that is evil, not meat.

Wanna eat double quarter pounder, do it ... without the bun. Ask for a fork.

You can eat beef, poultry, fish all day. Hotdogs....depends on whats in em.

Hams sometimes are cured with sugar

Fruits are full of sugar as is milk.

1. Check your sugar right before you get next physical. (In the parking lot of test site).
    2. Even if low blood sugar, sugar could still be in urine, unless you pissed a few times. Drink plenty of water to wash sugar out of piss.
    3. Walgreens has test strips you piss on and they let you know how much sugar in piss.
    4. Get a blood pressure monitor and test yourself in the lot of test site.
    5. My pressure was super high but just by losing 10pounds it dropped big time.
    6. You can also get prescription to lower blood pressure and sugar, but better to do it w/o prescripts

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.