HOS Violation????

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Crossbones, May 24, 2018.

1. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Personally, I find the whole process as unacceptable for line 4 since the truck is moving. That's driving no matter how anyone slices it. When guys did this on paper it was called "cheating". Ironically, on an ELD it's A-Ok.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    There was no yard move provision before ELD mandate came into effect. So it might have very well been cheating than and is perfectly fine now.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  4. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Exactly. It's still driving. Period. Call it whatever you want.

5. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Yard Move is a way for us to drive our trucks on private property without being in violation after our hours have expired.

There's a famous story from a couple years ago, a driver was unloaded at a dock and ran out of hours. She called FMCSA to inquire and they told her NOT to move that truck under any circumstance. Interesting now, they have provided us with solution to that problem.

Lite bug, Oldironfan, Infosaur and 2 others Thank this.
  6. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Indeed an the "solution" is exactly as it's always been. Lie about our drive time. Nothing has changed.

Timin770 Thanks this.
  7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Actually not. On paper, you're working with 15 minute blocks of time, whereas elogs can count by the minute. So you pull up to the guard shack and go to line 4. Takes 5 minutes to check in. Drive 45 seconds to the staging area. Back to line 4 for 20 minutes until it's your turn to load. Takes a minute and a half to drive over to where they want you to load, then you're back to line 4 for the 30-45 minutes it takes them to finish up. Another 45 seconds of driving over to the securement area, then back to line 4 for the 20-30 minutes it takes to throw your straps or chains. Another minute of driving back to the guard shack where you're on line 4 for another 5 minutes signing the paperwork before up to line 3 when you leave. So the reality of the situationis you're really only "cheating" on 3 minutes of drive time...really not all that big of a deal.

Bank_Lbr and stwik Thank this.
  8. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Are you really driving in such situations? So if you went to your driveway, moved your car from one spot to another to pull a lawn mower out from the garage, when you came back you would tell your wife that you were driving if she asked where’d you been?

Timin770 and Blackshack46 Thank this.
  9. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    As if the FMCSA has any say about your use of someone else's private property.

Remember, the definition of a regulator is someone with a law degree and no clients.

10. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    None of you folks have mentioned by definition OP was on duty until after 1 am by his story and falsified his logs.

11. Crossbones

Crossbones Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Western NC
    OP here. Had I falsified my logs this post wouldn't exist. If you look closely at the images of my log you will see where my confusion comes. If I came on duty at 5 and was off just after 8 for clearly most of the night, (except to move my truck in and out of the service bay), then how did I violate the 14 hour shift limit?

Bank_Lbr Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.