How the beverage distribution business works (yawn)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Cardfan89

Cardfan89 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Missouri
    Sidebays are typically 28 or 32 we had a few 20 bay either 38 or 42 big boys. The van trailers with the lift gates where 28, 38 and 48. Beer is a good way to get your feet wet that's what I did for 2 years till I went into food service where the moneys at. I hope this helps

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Mike2633 and localguy65 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Ditto I was going to say exactly what Cardfan said. about the length. I think our 14 bay trailers were even a tad shorter then 28' they may have been 26' but it was hard to tell.

localguy65 Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I remember the glass two liters.

One day in dorm watching TV, a girl came in with one during open visit and displayed threat to throw the bottle down in front of about 20 of us. We scattered and were like gone before it smashed into the floor.

BOUNCE!

WTF? No smash? what is this? Enter the new plastic bottle.

Learn something new every day.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  5. localguy65

localguy65 Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Any advice for starting out driving in beer delivery?

I'm going tomorrow to fill out an application and talk to the transportation manager at a local beer distributor.

As you know beer distributors are pretty much the only job you can get out of school with no experience locally. Unless I wanted to haul fuel, but I want to do Food Service after.

I would rather stay local then with a mega carrier to get my six months to a year experience.

6. Cardfan89

Cardfan89 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Missouri
    My only advice is be a hard worker it looks kinda daunting when u start out with a full trailer but just know your gonna get it done. I'm not the fastest guy out there with a two wheeler but I promise I'll work all day and bring a empty trailer back and that's all that matters

Mike2633 and localguy65 Thank this.
  7. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Ask how they pay there drivers.

Do not work for an annheiser distributer that charges drivers for expired beer. There's a lot of snakes in the beer business at least here in the south.

If you're in Florida do not throw beer for anyone other than JJ Taylor.

Edit- I see youre in Florida what city?

localguy65 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  8. MidWester

MidWester Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Beer is up and down... some slow weeks and some weeks where your loads are ridiculous. If its a good place though, they will send you some help on big days. Side bays and bulk routes are the two different types. Side bays do bars and small gas stations and bulk routes do the bigger stores.

I prefer side bays over bulk but a lot of people will say opposite because bulk routes are a little less physical but have to deal with more displays and big stores. Both have there ups and downs and can be a fun place to work at times. Wont make the most money but wont starve either.

localguy65, Cardfan89 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  9. localguy65

localguy65 Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2012
    I actually live in right outside Raleigh, North Carolina. I have to change my profile.
    I spoke to the transportation manager of a local distribution company. He broke down the pay for me, don't have the info in front of me right now.
    Basically it's Monday through Friday, early start time and averages 48 hours a week.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  10. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    From my personal experience Miller distributors treat there guys better.

localguy65, Cardfan89 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  11. Buffalonytrucker92

Buffalonytrucker92 Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2015
    western new York
    I also orefep side bays over conventional truck. When I was at pepsi they went to that new Geo box system. It was nice for some places. But a helluva lot mkem work.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.