Instructor teaching wrong

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Ironwindow, Mar 12, 2019.

1. JohnGER

JohnGER Light Load Member

May 5, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Exactly - Good advice everyone. Don't call him out in the middle of class, in front of the people he is teaching. You'll only get defensive push-back and bad blood.

But if the instructor is even halfway interested in knowing and teaching the correct info, they will be appreciative of your corrections.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Glad to hear it, there are days I question my sanity. The contents of my trucking experience that is. Many trucks did have in fact three tanks on the tractor. I remember one from the early 70's that had just one big tank (Probably internally divided due to presence of pri and sec pressures plus end to end drain valves. No dryer and old 123 system)

My intimate knowledge with braking ended when it was time to put away the old manual wrench tools half inch and 9/16th for automatic slack adjusters today.

4. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    In several of the state CDL drivers manual, they have complete diagrams of air brake systems. Covers the basics, plus has a section that covers a few of the variables.

Sounds like this instructor is getting them confused.

5. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2019

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Ironwindow

Ironwindow Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Winston Salem, NC
    I talked to the instructor last night, who also happens to be the owner of the school.

He was polite but pretty much said his job is to make people pass their CDL test, not teach them to fix trucks. He's been teaching material this way for 20 years and has an 80% pass rate.

Air brakes are simple, in my opinion, but so many people are having a difficult time understanding them that I guess he's just dumbed them down to help people understand them.

The parts that he's leaving out and describing incorrectly do not necessarily pose a safety risk so if that's how he's been doing things for 20 years and no one's ever said anything, I guess it is what it is. They're an accredited school and have numerous awards and certifications so I guess someone else agrees with what he's doing.

Grumppy and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That's unfortunate. At least you made a stab at it. Who knows...

8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    For future reference, eyes on the prize. Get what you came there to get and then get out. On your way out, after achieving your goal, sure say your piece, but not before. Why? Because the overwhelming vast majority you meet will stick with their traditions, right or wrong.

brian991219 and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.