Looking for reefer help

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by afterburn25, May 31, 2018.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Did someone clear the visible codes?

If your reefer is telling you to get service within 24 hours, there's probably a reason. Get someone to pull codes. Manually check the codes even if there is no error light.

Perhaps the error is that the red error code LED has failed...

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Hey nothings as far south as where i come from, well yeah of course there's the antarctic, we have similar type weather to Florida who ever called it the "Sunshine State" not sure why cause its either pouring rain or looking like it will at any time nah thats just the wet tropics, anyway to answer your question about when to start pre - chilling you'll need to experiment abit, set your fridge motor to 35 f and time how long it takes to get to the right temp however in all my days doing cold freight only frozen produce dispatch required you to pre - chill so that was around - 10 f and took like forever seeing my trailer wasn't designed for freezing just chilling. And some will load you regardless then you got to bring it down after its loaded which is much easier as the produce will help keep temps down. Also sometimes it pays to check the product temps before its loaded some sleazy warehouses will load you with warmer produce and when you get to the receiver and its not the right temp they will blame the transporter namely you, a chiller fridge van won't bring product temps down any further than what temp they were loaded at regardless of what temp you run your fridge at. Just be wary of that. In other words products temps can get warmer they won't get colder.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  4. High Seas

High Seas Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Middle, GA
    Well. you just don't pick a number to set the unit temperature at. All produce doesn't run at 34* . You need to read the bills for a temp setting. Then it's best to contact the person/company that is paying the freight to find out what they want the unit set to. Just cuz some smuck on a forklift said to set the unit to a certain temp or you setting the unit to what you think is correct doesn't carry much weight if the load spoils and a claim arises. Good Luck.

JTAN, Farmerbob1 and loose_leafs Thank this.
  5. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    It is possible it is just a reminder programmed to get the oil changed and have the rest of the unit serviced, just like the oil change reminders in newer cars.

Most carrier units will have a "check at next service interval" displayed for a minor fault, you have to actually go into the menu to see what it is. It could be anything from "box temp out of range" to a alternator beginning to fail, losing freon or coolant, anything mechanical or sensor related.

Most company drivers at mega carriers are idiots, half of them assume that a green idiot light means everything is fine, or as long as the unit runs it works. Some don't know or understand how a reefer works and how to check temps...most think fuel it and it's fine, and some can not even do that right.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  6. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    I second that, always check with the receiver or buyer if you can, dispatchers and brokers a lot of times don't know what they're talking about.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  7. JTAN

JTAN Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Rome , GA.
    The temperature setting on your BOL'S might not be what the broker or receiver wants it shipped at..always call and check ! I've worked with some brokers that didn't have a clue so if it was going to say US FOODS in Ogden then you can bet I called em for a double check..of course you already know to keep tools and spare parts they've saved my rump more than once . even something as simple as a new belt without having to rely on someone else can make all the difference... waiting longer doing reefers just seems to be part of the game..i swear it's like some produce coolers want you docked , doors open with your reefer running hard to help cool their place especially some of em in Salinas...reefers are kinda like government work " hurry up and wait "

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  8. reeferwrencher

reeferwrencher Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    It means the hourmeter limit for pm service has been exceeded.It might be due for service or more likely it wasn't reset by whoever did the last oil change.You have to go into the guarded access window to change or reset the hours or limit.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  9. Everett

Everett Crusty Shorts, What???

Oct 20, 2009
    Hampton,Ia
    if u have a refer, keep fido at home ,and other pets ,most places wont let you on the place with em,and here anthor thing i learn ,most refer have by the contol box a plug ,u can take to dealer and they plug in to there laptop and can tell everything about how your unit was running on the last load. And buy yourself a infred temp gun they work wonders and try ri drive at night or the pouring rain under trees for the day anything to help keep it cook

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    JTAN Thanks this.
  10. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Put a thermometer on back door, or small flap door. Not electronic one, oldskool mercury one. Some places don't want a trailer older than 10 years old for food. Or one cut on inside or one dent in base aluminum some cheese places are picky. Get a tanker endorsement due to bulk tote liquid loads require it.

Everett Thanks this.
  11. JTAN

JTAN Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Rome , GA.
    Good sound advice especially about your pet .. heck I've been to places pulling a dry box that didn't allow pet's.. the infrared thermometer's is a dang good idea the heating and air guy's use em so why not a reefer driver...?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.