Motorcycle drafting

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SteveK, Feb 4, 2023.

1. LTL Bull

LTL Bull Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2020
    Thats another thing I never understood, do many guys on bikes get real close to my driver side as they pass and then cut close back in front of me or when they’re coming at me on a two or four lane surface street they seem to want to move closer to the center line as they approach. I always moved AWAY from the trucks as my lane would allow as I passed either overtaking or passing head to head. I never noticed as much years ago but it seems much more common as of recently

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I live less than a mile from I-44.

About every day, I’ll hear one out there.

BOOM - FLAK - FLAK - FLAK - FLAK . . ,

You don’t want to be around or behind one when it goes. Sounds like a stick of TNT.

4. The Railsplitter

The Railsplitter Medium Load Member

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    Yes, truck tires are more likely to blow in hot weather... a.k.a. "gator season." Many blown tires are the result of underinflation plus wear, and hot weather is a contributing factor when an underinflated tire warms up to the point of disintegration. One reason why you see so many RVs with blown tires in summer, the owners don't check tire pressure with a gauge, they just eyeball the rubber and think it's okay, pfffffft. First thing I'd do when breaking out an RV for summer use, I'd check the tires with a gauge and make sure they're properly inflated. o_O

P.S. Those truck tires are generally inflated to 100 psi, so when they grenade, they can hurl tread fragments or caps a considerable distance... if you happen to be alongside the truck when this happens, you can easily be knocked down or killed by those flying caps or fragments, even with a helmet. Just sayin'... and since you're asking about a road safety issue, here's a thread for you to read at your convenience, it explains why one should never hang out near big trucks at highway speed. Cheers! :rolleyes:

homesteadingforum.org/threads/road-safety.17526/

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    SteveK Thanks this.
  5. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Been ridin 50+ years...truckin now 45
    Wouldn’t do it ever...and ya ain’t gonna do it behind me...had em try...I just gently back out of it....usually don’t stay behind long at slow speed

6. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Adventure. Back in the day they were called street and trail bikes.
    Never had a bike draft me that I was aware of. And i would never in a million years do it. If your cold oh well plan better next time.

Speedy356, The Railsplitter and SteveK Thank this.
  7. SteveK

SteveK Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2023
    ####!

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  8. Stone Express

Stone Express Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    I had a young guy about 48 years ago pull out of a side road on a motorcycle almost in front of me.

When we got to the next little town he went down on a S turn at about 25 mph. I gave him plenty of room to pick it back up.

2 lessons learned that day. One for him…and I was so glad I had not been tailing him and run him over. He was down right now on dry pavement.

I have seen 5 motorcycle fatals in my trucking career. Came up on them after it happened. Some were already covered.

I can’t imagine having one under my truck.

SteveK and The Railsplitter Thank this.
  9. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    2nd the opinion that backroads are where you'll find us.

And no way I'm drafting anything.

If I absolutely have to run the interstate I'll be running slightly faster than traffic, keeping my head on a swivel and ready to react to constantly changing situations.

10. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    It's a bad idea, a really bad idea. You could be wiped out by road debris and get flattened by vehicles behind you. You would have no time to react because you are too close to the trailer. You could also loose control when you come out from behind the trailer, because of the change in air movement. And lastly following to closely is illegal.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    The Railsplitter and austinmike Thank this.
  11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    closed course for me. I want flaggers and an ambulance……:)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.