Oil usage between oil changes

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Otrliveload, Jul 17, 2019.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Be careful with that. The mods see that as advertising your business and will get you in trouble.
    Posting your video is fine, advertising or begging your channel isn't.

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Melvin Morrison

Melvin Morrison Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2019
    I wasn't advertising I just said if you go there you will see that I explained

4. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    Doesn't matter if you were "advertising" or not. You are trying to get more subscribers to your channel and we don't allow that.

FlaSwampRat, Melvin Morrison and ZVar Thank this.
  5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    15k we change ours. Both use less than half a gallon. Clean engines

bzinger Thanks this.
  6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I have a '17 Cascadia with over 350,000 miles.
    Oil changes at my company for this truck is at 50,000 miles, and I have never had to add any oil in between.

So I would say 6 quarts in 37,000 miles with a '19 truck is pretty excessive.

7. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    If this is your truck, not a company truck, I would suggest you start getting oil samples taken every 10k miles. When the test comes back with any concerns, change the oil.

If it is a company truck, you don't really have much to say about maintenance.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I am accustomed to changing engine oil at 15000 flat. Engine type does not matter with two exceptions. Detriots are not supposed to use any oil and Macks leak territory for marking purposes wherever they go.

If it is a detriot and good one at that, I have no problems not changing oil for 30,000 miles.

A dallop now and then over a month (Which is about what I need to run 15000 miles as a solo give or take two thousand... out of my one dallop jug is not a problem.) Even more important to have that dallop jug with you plus one or two more gallons in a known big dog leaker, dripper, territory marking etc.

The only Four times I have full stressed attention about Engine oil is one of these,

Oil pressure not holding normal, particularly for big time upgrade pulls. *I had two types mixed against my will three gallons of Rotella and two of standard generic exxon branded deiel oil as a workaround intending to do oil change in Indiana. The engine failed to hold pressure upgrade near Fishertown blowing out 3 gallons on that mountain pull (*Babcock Ridge state park route 56 westbound) from Altoona. That was resolved by three gallons of rotella left me by a nice female Star O/O from her side box which was exactly what I needed. From that day forward I kept 6 gallons of rotella under the bunk. Usually elicting a outburst of WTF? I say to them, you high? I keep oil in there all the time. Heres the fuel tickets for them. They say WTF this driver is looney. We have a ####ing lake of oil here... he does not need that many oils.

Escalate that to leadership and leads to a one hell of a board room conversation with me.

Two- Engine oil temperature must be within range reasonable. If the coolant cannot carry it's weight guess what tries to cool you next? Your engine oil. For a little while. If you don't repair the coolant leak, sensor, cap, busted line, heater core or wahtever... you will not have much of a engine oil for very long. And that will get expensive in a hurry.

Three- Pull that #### dipstick and make sure you got oil in there in the first place. Before you fire the #### thing up. Mechanics sometimes pull forward just outside of the bay and then go hunting for you. Whom you have waited for days and nights for this work to be done so you can go make money you have lost... You jump in hook to trailer and brick your engine 10 miles down the road with many serious light bulbs and alarms going off inside your cab.

Shop: WTF?

When SHOP understands two things, mechanic never put in oil, and more importantly !!!! YOU did not do a pretrip...

Guess who gets the boot. You.

Four- Look under the #### engine and make sure your pan bolt is on all the way, not half threaded, half crooked, not bent on corners from using a half ### sized wrench wrong fit etc etc etc.

You did not look under there for 400 miles back to cheyenne in this winter storm now did you? And where did you two gallons of oil go? You do have 6 more gallons under the bunk right? Salt Lake is not going to wait on you all day. You aint got time.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  9. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    On my DD15 it hardly ever needs oil , I try to stick to 25k to 35k for oil changes. Run OTR with a mix of heavy and light loads .

Rideandrepair and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  10. noworrez

noworrez Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2020
    I have a 2015 D13 780 with about 850k on it. Just did an oil sample at 20k and all numbers are good with no oil loss. I'm heading back out Monday and going to do another test in 10k but will probably change it at the same time as going over 30k just seems wrong. Use Delo 400 xle 10w30 in winter and 15w40 in summer.

So, a newer engine and a lot lower miles using that much oil is excessive to me. What does Mack say?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Every engine will consume oil to some degree. You're never going to get a 100% perfect seal between your rings and your cylinder wall. Even then the cylinder wall has a crosshatch pattern machined into it to help "hold" a thin film of oil on the surface of the cylinder wall. Each combustion event will slowly burn away that film, which is replenished by splash lube or by oil nozzles spraying on the underside of the piston.

bzinger, Brettj3876 and snowwy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.