Self loading used equipment

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Charlie42, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Charlie42

Charlie42 Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2021
    Maybe someone has a more clear answer than my insurance. I have a strict “we don’t turn a key on or off on anything other than our trucks” policy…but got yelled at yesterday by a broker (don’t really care there, but curious)…has anyone ever self loaded, let’s say, a used excavator picked up from a port yard. Do the pickup as a fill gap to get home from a load board. Half the excavators that I personally know of with friends and family have some “issue”, major or minor. Obviously carriers do take these on, I’m just curious: if you get half way up your ramps and find out it’s out of oil and engine just burned up: who would be responsible for getting that thing either off and back in the yard (or if a port, maybe they won’t allow it to be dropped back), hire a wrecker to pick it up and put it on the trailer properly? And who is responsible for the offload of the now broken piece of equipment when it was running fine at the yard until the trucker tried to load it on his truck? I’m just curious if anyone has tried to self load used equipment, and had a breakdown and not embarrassed to share how that works out?

Bean Jr., W923 and cke Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    @Charlie42 ...I'm going to move this to the Heavy Haul section. You'll get a better range of answers there from people actually in the business.

5. Charlie42

Charlie42 Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2021
    Ok, so swap out no oil for gears that seize. I’m speaking in general. It’s someone else’s machine that is going to break down permanently at some point in its life. What happens when that breakdown is halfway up the ramp of your truck and your behind the wheel of the busted John Deere on the ramp of your trailer with a shipper that says “that piece of #### is yours now, don’t try to offload it back in my yard.”

Rideandrepair and cke Thank this.
  6. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    They would try blaming it on you for sure.

I had a situation when hydrolic line burst on a wheel loader and made bucket arms imoperable while shipper was loading.
    I said I would not take it, it was a back and forth between all parties and the broker, the receiver of course wanted it fixed, the shipper was like: well, it’s loaded so It’s not our problem. I siad I won’t leave their dock or sign any paperwork confirming receipt so they can either pull it off or clear me in writing of any responsibility and guarantee unload at the delivery.

In the end shipper signed „loaded with hydrolic line burst” on the paperwork and broker confirmed in the email that receiver was aware and guaranteed unload.

I’m pretty sure if machine breaks mid-transit they will blame it on trucking company and make an insurance claim.

7. SomeCanadian

SomeCanadian Bobtail Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Well, knock on wood… I haven’t had an engine seize but have had things become unable to finish self loading… you get as creative as you can to get it on and let the customer know early so they can figure out how they are going to remove it or how to stop it as it removes itself in the case of break failure.

8. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
  9. Jubal Early Times

Jubal Early Times Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2022
    I think if you refuse to load equipment you need to go haul groceries.

10. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    Beat me to it! @Judge I have a hand fetish;););):D:D:D

Rideandrepair, cke, Siinman and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I’ve loaded different types of equipment but never had it break down. I’ve had to air up tires, jump start or/and used a fork lift to push or move it on to the trailer, on a Traileze(tilt bed) trailer.

JolliRoger, Feedman, Bean Jr. and 6 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.