2001 VN - Fast-blinking turn signal problem

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by gravytrain416, May 17, 2015.

1. gravytrain416

gravytrain416 Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Hello all,

I drive a 2001 VN condo. Since I was assigned the truck, I've had this problem with the signals. When I'm bobtailing, the turn signals blink rapidly, like a car does when a light is out. They all work though. Same thing happens when I pull a trailer that has LED lights. However, when I pull a trailer without LED lights, the signals blink normally. Bobtail, or pulling a trailer with either kind of lights, and the four-ways work like they're supposed to all the time.

It has a NAPA flasher in it, so I'm wondering if perhaps it has the wrong flasher. Not sure if that's the case or maybe I should look at something else? Been trying to locate the correct part number for the flasher, but haven't found it yet.

Any thoughts? Comments are much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I'm GUESSING a resistance anomaly in the indicator relay, if you said it's a NAPA replacement. Best bet is the factory replacement, if you don't have the original OEM unit to ascertain correct specs.

Maybe someone can put an eye on theirs and get you the number.

gravytrain416 Thanks this.
  4. gravytrain416

Feb 21, 2015
    Thanks. I just saw something where someone said something about a replacement flasher that could handle the LED's. I live close to a T/A. Might call over there and just see if they have one that would work, until I can get one from Volvo.

5. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    I think you could just get a new flasher and try that. If it works, your budget will thank you.

gravytrain416 Thanks this.
  6. gravytrain416

Feb 21, 2015
    Thanks for the message. Kinda decided that's what I needed to do. Talked to a guy at TruckPro today and he found the part number 44890 for an LED flasher from Grote. Now I can't find one in stock anywhere. Guess I'll have to order one. I have a feeling that's all it is though.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
  8. gravytrain416

Feb 21, 2015
    Sorry for the delay. Had to leave that night, and just got home a little bit ago. Didn't have my password to log in to reply while I was gone. Still haven't found the flasher, but I'll order one tomorrow I guess. Thanks for the messages, folks. I'll let you know what happens.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.