22 w/ 40k saved... what do I do with my life?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dedrick, Aug 30, 2016.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you can do 20 dead pullups, 40 sit ups and then maintain about a 8 minute or faster mile over 3 miles within a half hour, you are scoring a USMC 300 fitness.

I know some folks in the 50's who are doing a thousand and then some, makes me feel old. Im no slouch but that weight is a problem at my point in life. Ive gotten 45 to 60 pounds off in the last 9 and working to keep it off. Those darn golden brown biscuts from scratch... mm mm mm.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    In my 21 yrs of driveing i gained about 70 lbs...Still only 245lbs and 5'8"..Lost some but gain it back twice now...My own fault from when i started truckin,lived on fast foods..Now im eating better but still need to get off ma butt more..Just recived my ddp yoga dvds...Lets see how it helps..

4. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Both of these options are correct answers potentially. Whichever you decide don't halfa** either one. If you decide to go to college then make sure that the debt incurred will be made back in the future. Medical field or engineering are safe bets. Don't go out and get 80k in debt for a photography degree likes one of my idiot friends lol.

If you decide on trucking then that can be rewarding as well. Many truckers make six figures with great benefits. It's up to you to decide which life you want to live.

Me personally if you are putting away decent cash right now then I would ride that out until it stops. Hopefully you will then have enough to write a check for a house. After that point life gets much easier.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. Don't ruin it by taking any of our advice. Haha

tucker, Dedrick, cnsper and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im banking in his prime earnings to turn that 40K cash to something like 300K or more, half of that buys a mansion here in Arkansas and a few acres of woodland. If the price of silver rises to match inflation from roughly 22 a ounce to around 420 per at 15 to one Gold (Which will rise eventually when paper burns) that will be several more hundreds of thousands to throw at the house.

Cash talks, loans, clearing etc walks. Once you buy that home free and clear cold cash, you are going to think that you need to be then VERY careful who you bring into your life. This is not the time for your caurousing drunken trouble making jailing friends to be part of your life then. Winnow it down to a few people you trust with your life without a second thought. It's hard to do but doable.

Do not make the mistake of going to say Maryland howard county and buying a 500,000 colonial. Annual taxes will consume what money you have left inside of 8 years or less.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  7. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    As another fellow young driver (23) All I can really say is follow your gut. The industry is deff changing. My dad and his pops were both owner/ops along with my grandpa's brother and 2 uncles on my moms side. Graduating high school being a driver wasn't even a thought in my head, had no idea what I wanted to do so I was in construction working with a close friends dad making good money for my age when my dad randomly said I should get my cdl if I wasn't going to college. Fell in love with it, started out doing food service in nyc and now im in the oil patch mostly moving overweight equipment.

I'm currently saving up for my own truck. With all the drivers in my family I have a lot of in's to where a normal guy wouldn't so I'm very thankful for that. Being O/O doesn't mean you have to be otr, most of my family was home almost everyday. just need the right freight and it can easily be done

I don't even look 18 and im only 5'6 tall, you should see some of the looks I get lol. Receiver's probably like wtf they trust this kid with a 100k load, he don't even look like hes capable of throwing a chain haha.

I'm a total rebel so my advice might not be best lol but I found a career I love and will try my hardest not to let new age bs regs push me out of this industry. I still have the pleasure of loose leaf logs at my company. Let it be me driving than someone that failed at every thing in life and decided ooh this will be easy just drive all day in my white volvo and I even get to wear my fashionable track suit

Edit. I would go crazy worrying about if a driver I hired is going to F something up, I couldn't even put my good friend and my former trainer at my 1st driving gig I got into a truck thats in my name. AS stated too many forrest gumps in this industry. Sad but that's the outcome of still considering us unskilled labor and paying as such. Maybe learning to drive in nyc has something to do with this:D I was a straight A student all through school and have had relatives tell me why am I wasting my life behind a wheel? hum maybe I enjoy it and its one less idiot I prevent from the industry being on the road as I look towards my 3 and 6 year old cousins and usually they get the point. esp after they see a pay stub of how well the oilfield pays me what your 200k of college debt isn't even paying you:mad: Yeah my uncles a cop that hates his job and one of those judgy ones too.

That rubbed me the wrong way esp with other drivers in the family as well.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Cw5110 Thanks this.
  8. Dedrick

Dedrick Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Sounds like living in Arkansas is the problem.

dngrous_dime and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Arkansas has done very well. We have big time Military here. Along with CAT etc. Everything you want in America is here in Arkansas. ESPECIALLY if you run with the Military, Contract, Government at any level. That is our strength.

Arkansas is different than most other states because Fish and Game actually have most of the lands here. They are the Law believe it or not in most places. Lawbreakers are not too common. Several times a year gangs come up here to try and rip off narcotics from a small town druggist and end up going to pine bluff for 30 years. That will learn em. The rest are gas station thieves who get caught and the occasional nutter waving a gun or wife beater. Not too often.

Little Rock however is a problem, large areas parasites roam and citizens know to get out of there before sunset. We lose about two to 4 people each week to shootings, stabbing etc usually at a likker store or something. No biggie. They are working on it. Just finishing up a purchasing of about 20 blocks of houses to raze them and raise up a future 4 city blocks worth of medical towers for our old age and bad hearts etc.

10. Cw5110

Cw5110 Heavy Load Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Georgia
    As a young driver myself at the age of 24 no kids or a wife and at 6'0 176. I gotta give credit where credit is due to the op. I have made more money for sure in this industry than any other. As stated before in some post i never thought i would use my CDL but it was a goal for me to earn it none of the less.

After reading the orginal post and reading some of the other responses i think even with the new regulations and possible burdens for us drivers it may very well put me out of this industry as well. Ive stayed in it for 3 years learning it and screwing up at times but i will admit that i enjoy the open road to where when I first got on I never thought i would have the mindset too buy and own a truck.

However I'm skeptical too say the least of what happens in this industry if the young generation of truckers dont rise up and say no. Despite im close too having my own truck now im curious what might happen after its paid off.

For the ops concern in terms of advice heck i wouldnt know. For his age hes two years younger with a bigger bank than I do. Going back too school is the main idea alot have put on her, but it is expensive none of the less. Also with the job market still in a mess. My question is would it be worth it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. bluerider

bluerider Light Load Member

May 16, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Get a dump truck and go to school. Don't get the stripper. The last time I left a club with a stripper I was stuck with her for 10 years.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.