8-2 split explained in an easy to understand format

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by gravdigr, Sep 8, 2011.

1. BigJohn54

BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri
    It is true that the 2 hours off duty counts against your 14-hour clock and the 8 hours sleeper does not. Still the 8 hours sleeper does not reset your 14-hour clock without the additional break of 2 hours. For the record both the 8 hours and the 2 hours can be sleeper berth.

You must take 8 hours of sleeper berth to stop the 14-hour clock. It is no wonder that many companies don't allow use of this rule. While it is not rocket science, it is far from strait-forward.

If you want to understand this rule, Google "hos-logbook-examples.pdf" and read these sections carefully:

effect of 8-hour sleeper-berth period
    8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 21
    sleeper-berth provision: proper use
    10, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19
    sleeper-berth provision: improper use
    11, 13, 15, 20

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Another reason I use it is to flip my driving hours around to what I like. Say if I'm starting my day late in the morning for an afternoon appointment of say 1300, not gonna want to drive all night looking for spot around midnight. So shut down at 1700-1900 or so, take the 8 then drive the balance of the 11 then take the 2 then drive the balance of the 11 then take a 10 to get back on track.

Another good one is they send you a preplan while you're still under this load but looking at it you see your 14 will be done before the pickup time. Maybe if you hole up now for 8 hours, make your drop then your 14 hour 'umbrella' of time will encompass that other pickup to be doable. In this way you can make more money than the driver who flat out refuses that next load in this scenario.

If you're sitting on the dock for 2 hours, boom your next break after leaving needs only be 8 hours.

I use it also to get further down the road because I'm one of thos e lazy drivers who likes to pull off every couple of hours.But if the schedule is tight, split breaking limits time off between driving to just 10 or so hours. Trying to drive 11 in 14, most of the time I will use the whole 14 so now the 10 hours off is really 13 hours off or more between driving shifts. Splitting, drive 5.5 break, drive 5.5 break, drive 5.5 break= 13.25 hours driving in 24 hour period or slightly less.

4. gravdigr

gravdigr Road Train Member

May 2, 2011
    Hollidaysburg, PA
    the examples above are exactly the kind of thing split berth was made for. I have a load today they gave me that I couldn't deliver on time. I told them when I got the load. I made it most of the way and stopped at a ts. I'm waiting for the repower truck to come. Sadly I have to stay hooked to the trailer until he gets here so I may be 4 hours into my 10 when I have to log a drop. Instead of starting a new 10 I can do 8 in the sleeper and save a few hours.

Just follow the rules in the first post and you can't go wrong.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  5. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    How picky is your company concerning stuff like that. Can you "disconnect" while at the truck stop and log it then, instead of burning up time on your logs when the other driver shows up?

6. THBatMan8

THBatMan8 Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Wherever I park
    It takes less than 15 minutes to perform a swap. Flag it. This way, you don't jump on line 4 and you can complete the 10 hour break. No harm no foul.

7. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I'm so tired of the splits, I have dudes driving over their 11 hours then taking an 8 hour break and driving again.

Well I tried to do a split, these #### eLogs are broken.

Really? They're broken? I fully understand why companies don't allow drivers to split now. I used to think it was a stupid practice, why not take advantage of the regs. I get it now.

THBatMan8 Thanks this.
  8. THBatMan8

THBatMan8 Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Wherever I park
    LOL, another driver was telling me something along these lines earlier at the TA I was at. I just shook my head in disbelief.

Meltom Thanks this.
  9. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    On second thought, lets pretend I didn't make that comment.

THBatMan8 Thanks this.
  10. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Bear in mind that with more and more companies going to E-logs, the systems being used at some companies (like Covenant, for one) will not accept an 8-2 split break, because the software isn't programmed for it. and because Covenant's company policy forbids split breaking, I don't see the software being updated any time soon.

Other companies do indeed forbid split breaking. I don't believe it's because driver's can't understand the rules, personally. Since most of the companies that forbid split breaking are our ever-loved bottom feeder "training" outfits that race through newbies the way a colicy baby races through diapers, I actually think the policies against split breaking aredriven more from a desire to burn out the newbies and veteran drivers so they can be replaced quicker with cheaper drivers...but that's just a personal observation.

NavigatorWife, Meltom and THBatMan8 Thank this.
  11. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I appreciate your point of view, but being on the other side of thing I would have to disagree with you. A increasing percentage of drivers have no clue how the HOS work. The split calculates on People Net eLogs and my problem children just assume the computer is broken and continue to drive in violation.

brsims and THBatMan8 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.