'99 Cummins N14 Redtop Extreme RPM Hesitation

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Tenbatsu, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Tenbatsu

Tenbatsu Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2012
    So I have a 1999 Classic XL with a N14 Redtop that has 1,029,xxx miles on it and I was bobtailing home with it when it started to get some extreme hesitation/stutter when accelerating from a stop on the RPMs once I got it up to speed it didnt do to bad but I can also notice a stutter on the RPMS when parked and hear it a little bit. Truck allegedly had new injectors put in and it does have new fuel lines from the engine to the tanks.

Other thoughts Ive heard have been:
    1. Fuel filter clogged or put on wrong and sucking air.
    2. Air being sucked into the fuel line ( Truck does not lose prime when sitting and starts fine).
    3. Injector going bad.
    4. Clutch slipping?
    5. Not getting enough air
    Anyone else with a thought whether it be one of the above is appreciated and discussion welcomed. I havend looked at anything yet and waiting to get back home with my other truck to look at some stuff. Gotta keep the revenue flowing!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    It sounds like a clogged fuel filter - and that's a cheap place to start . . . Check your air filter too, while you're at it.

4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
  5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Open up fuel caps an shine a strong light in tanks to see whats (water) on the bottom of your tanks?

6. Tenbatsu

Tenbatsu Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2012
    Definitely will. I forgot to also mention the Truck for as old as it is doesnt really seem to blow smoke like older trucks generally do. When I had it stitting parked at the house I had to rev it majorly up really high to even get a tiny bit of smoke from the stacks. Kinda had me thinking its not getting enough fuel

7. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    A 99 cummins is not a old smoke blowing motor

8. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
  9. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Hesitation as in you push the pedal and it's not getting fuel? Or is it taking fuel just not what it should?
    If it not taking fuel may be TPS.
    When was last time the screen on top of pump was cleaned?
    Also check wire to shut off solenoid,and voltage. And ECM leads in battery box.

04 LowMax Thanks this.
  10. JDHIGGINS44

JDHIGGINS44 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Waynesburg, PA
    If you want to check injectors that's an easy thing to do on your motor start it up and open the hood. On the left hand side of the motor you will see 6 identical 2 wire plugs on the side of the head and you can unplug each of them 1 at a time and see what one if any has an effect on the motor.

11. Tenbatsu

Tenbatsu Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2012
    I planned to take it to a local dealer that does cummins and do a Injector cut out for one hour labor and what not seeing about taking a ride with the Computer hooked up. Im checking the fuel filter when I get back home Tuesday before I go do that though.

@062 it normally hessitates when Accelerating when trying to give it fuel. You hardly notice it if it happens at all at road speed bobtail but When accelerating from a stop light it throws a fit and thats when its worst. Also Im not sure about the Screen on the pump.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.