Adding Hazmat Endorsement in Minnesota

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by loose_leafs, Aug 23, 2015.

1. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    I am a little confused, Minnesota tells you to do the steps in this order to add a new hazmat endorsement:

1. Take and pass the HME knowledge test at a driver exam station.
    2. Apply for or renew the CDL at a full-service exam station or driver’s license renewal office.
    3. Complete a Security Threat Assessment application (see below).
    4. The list of acceptable enrollment (identification) documents is listed on the TSA website:
      http://www.tsa.gov/stakeholders/acceptable-enrollment-documents.
      NOTE: The TSA will no longer accept just a driver’s license and medical certificate as identification documents. You must have the proper ID documents to be fingerprinted.
    Wouldn't you want to do the background check and fingerprinting first? I thought you had to do the background check in order to even add the endorsement?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    You have to make sure to pass the test first before the background check.I did the application first then the test then another place for the fingerprints.The prints get sent in then they do the background check.

4. I let my hazmat expire several years ago and just re-did and passed my test last week' Things sure have changed since 9/11! To help study, I went on youtube and watched several videos on hazmat training, it was a great help!
    1) First thing-background check/fingerprinted, takes 2-3 weeks to get approved. About $85.00

2) Take hazmat test-about 30 questions. Make sure when you take the test to bring a birth

certificate or current passport-actually, you need them for both!

Clara3 Thanks this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    It don't matter what step u do first. U just have to have them both done. And you can do them both. At the same time.

In utah, when I added mine. I got a new license with the added endorsememt. But my expiration. Date stayed the same. You take the test everytime u renew your license. You submit fingerprints every 5 years.

I did my fingerprints and test halfway through my 5 year license time frame. So every 2 1/2 years. Im either renewing my license and test. Or I'm submitting fingerprints.

I'm seriously considering just dumping hazmat. Never use it. And the only time jobs require it. Is when I don't have it. Too much regulations BS. And time consuming. And money. The test isn't easy. I'm usually taking it 4 times before I pass. My bro in law hauls oil so he needs it. He usually tests 3 times before passing it.

6. Jess2419

Jess2419 Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2017

7. Jess2419

Jess2419 Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Do they do a drug test ehen doing fingerprints for hazmat in utah just askin so i know the this an step to be done vause i take meds from a doctor that might show up on a test

8. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    No drug test. Just fingerprints

snowwy Thanks this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    It's a federal standard. Fingerprints only. And endorsement testing.

the drug testing comes with your med card and randoms.

Badmon Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.