Another failed e-log monitoring

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by DUNE-T, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    How do you link this in any way to failed e-log monitoring? It's a driver who attempted to drive sleepy...I read nothing in the story where it can be blamed on e-logs, or how the driver was forced to drive by anyone simply because his logbook said he had the hours ...it's just simply a moron driver, working for a mega-cdl mill training company.

tow614, bomoto, Bwbibb and 11 others Thank this.
  3. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    I know plenty of local drivers that don't keep logs, of any sorts, and drive while tired and exhausted.

drvrtech77 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  4. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Super snack, i never thought you would be a e log supporter, lol.

5. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Super, you know as well as I do there are companies large and small that will threaten a driver's job if the driver doesn't "do the best he can". E-logs are just an attempt (and sometimes a failure) to deal with a problem that has been rampant in this industry ever since Hours of Service regulations were first introduced in the 30's! There will always be dispatchers or bosses who care more about their money than they will about their drivers. And there will always be bosses and dispatchers who will say whatever it takes to get a driver to run super hard (thus inflating the paychecks of everyone except, usually, the driver) and then sign off for the day and head home to bed while the driver gets to pull an all-nighter for that ever-important load of paper towels.

Since there are too many drivers who are convinced the only way to make a decent living is to run as many miles as they can (legally or not) for pennies or who cannot (for whatever reason) stand up to dispatch when they pull this crap, we now have e-logs. And when e-logs prove to be a failure, we'll get fully automated logs. And all of it goes back to the biblical root of all evil, greed!

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    A new driver posted the other day wanting to know what that cargo net is on the bunks.
    This accident is a good example; if Pamela Bourgue had used that net properly she may not have been injured at all.

Lepton1, Blackshack46, tucker and 2 others Thank this.
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    For some reason I am under assumption that on elogs drivers get pushed to drive if they have hours, even though they are tired

thejackal Thanks this.
  8. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    The driver harassment issue has supposedly been resolved in the new rules. I don't see how those issues can be resolved.

9. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I've talked to drivers from other outfits who claim to get pushed when they have "legal" hours. One carrier tried it on me a couple of years ago. After I was down blistering the dispatcher's ear with my somewhat "blue" language and insulting comments (I covered everything but race, as I am a class act), we mutually agreed that I may not have been a "good fit" for that particular carrier.

White_Knuckle_Newbie and Big Don Thank this.
  10. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Some people have insomnia or they stay up on the phone talking to girls then they realize it's 2am and their 10 hour ends at 4:30am and they deliver at 9am with 200 miles to go. So they sleep for 2 hours and drive tired all day. Not speaking from experience but that's how I was when I had an office job when I was a lot younger.maybe hiring above 25 is a good idea.

Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.