Another rear end fatality crash in the Nashville area

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by supersnackbar, Oct 26, 2016.

1. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    At 830 am yesterday it was such a mess on 31w, I was coming in from Memphis, so I too Briley to 24, then 431 to Springfield then back to 65. Added about 45 min to my trip, but mostly because I was heavy and not much of a chance to get a running start on some of those roads since they are so curvy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. allniter

allniter Medium Load Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I 10 FL exit 70
    But if your still conscience you have to deal with the horror of those flames coming toward you being on you.
    That always worried me when I drove a cabover, if a fire started in the driver area therre was no way to get out.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's true that. It's real bad. Ive been burned before a little bit, we use fire in Arkansas as a tool to dispose of excess brush, tall grass etc. It don't take much. I don't wish that on anyone.

Today we are not dealing with cabovers much anymore, we are dealing with conventionals and there is a problem where I am looking. It's excessive. The last handful of major crashes were fire this year rather than just a mess.

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    These frequent fires can be traced back at least the last 3-4 years or at least that's about when I began to notice a major uptick in major class 8 crashes followed by fire. But I'll also note that it seems every year, there seems to be more [that we are made aware of here] than the year before which makes sense as we are near the tail end of getting more and more of the older trucks out of circulation, and replaced with the new[er] problem makes/models.

I'd bet the newer trucks (1-2 years old) are the ones more likely to burn than the ones 3-6 years old.

Very few news stories make mention of the year/make/model but no doubt large insurance companies have this data and I'd be curious to know the information that a basic data-mining exercise would yield.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Well, I am not going to pick on the trucks too much, but I considered the 2001 era trucks the last of it's kind. The bodies were better in my opinion than what they are today. I don't know about anyone here, but I began to suspect the today's bodies are even lighter and thinner. Does that make sense?

7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Actually, if all you are looking for is bottom line, it does make sense. They are lighter, therefore they can haul more payload.
    And really, who gives a right rip about driver survival. Drivers are a dime a dozen, but they dam well better not tear up the equipment.......:mad:

allniter Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.