asked this before, sorry.. exercise on the road? weight gain?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by morpheus, Jul 22, 2016.

1. morpheus

morpheus Medium Load Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Hello,

I have asked this before but wanted an update.

How many of you actually lost weight while doing this job?

Gained weight and why? Bad food choices?

How many of you shop healthy at Wally World or another supermarket? That would be my plan. I am not a fast food guy at all. Last time I went to McD's was a year ago for an iced coffee for a buck.n

Do any of you make it a point to get and stretch and do some walking?

Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Trying to. Quit one job to do flatbed work, kinda helps. I make/cook my own food and stock up at walmart. Sometimes when I'm in a rush I'll buy something.

At the end of the day, 10 hours isn't enough to ride my bike, walk, take a shower eat and try to sleep for 4-6 hours. But I do at reset if I do one

tnkrdrvr1979 Thanks this.
  4. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    This job won't make you fat. Your decisions will. Is it easy to eat healthy lose weight otr, specifically pulling a box- no. Is it possible?-yes.
    Flatbed- especially runs where you load and reload in a day with tarps on both ends will help.
    No excuses chunky

Puppage and tnkrdrvr1979 Thank this.
  5. Mullet_Head87

Mullet_Head87 Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Clearwater
    230 when I started 2.5 yrs ago.........280 now. No exercise and pig out on my 10 before sleeping. Lost 15lbs in 2 months eating 1200 calories a day without much exercise but it's tough to keep on track. There is no excuse, I know what I'm doing wrong but I'm just a lazy p.o.s! Want to do this long term so gotta change or I'll die before 50 and be put on a #### CPAP machine. Have you guys tried the Mac N Cheetos at Burger king? They're pretty good.

Weeezerd, LindaPV and tnkrdrvr1979 Thank this.
  6. tnkrdrvr1979

tnkrdrvr1979 Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Diet decisions are the key to not gaining weight. You can eat healthy either by taking your own food or making smart choices. Wendy's has a chicken sandwich that is very good and only about 300 calories. Subway salads are also a good choice. McDonalds has a grilled chicken wrap that is also very good for a meal. No French fries allowed for me or would gain weight. You can work out in the truck while traveling. You just have to plan your day to make your rest break/workout/shower at a truck stop. Carry some dumbells and workout in the truck during your rest break or after the end of the day. Pushups and situps are also possible in the cab of a sleeper truck. Have also found a way to do chin-ups on the back of the tractor. You can run almost anywhere to burn off calories. Try to limit calories to less than 1500 depending on body size etc. Have lost about 15 pounds driving using this plan.
    I found the first week of eating like this was pretty tough and felt hungry at first but after a couple of weeks it becomes habit and not a problem.

7. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Had mixed results. I'd gain some weight sometimes when I was running hard. If I was slow or stuck in Laredo, I'd get out of the truck and go for walks.

My feeling on diet is the Sodas are bad and the Energy Drinks are even worse. I also tried to have a Low Carb influence in my diet. In a pinch if needed a quick bite to eat, I'd toss the bread or bun if I got a sandwich or burger. I think refined grains or flour are really unhealthy. I don't think all bread is bad, but most of it is basically 'Wonder Bread' like junk.

Also, I never get French Fries or Potato Chips or any combo meal. In general, I think it's a good idea to avoid Starch unless it's before heavy exercise.

tnkrdrvr1979 Thanks this.
  8. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Gained 20 pounds when I was teaming and running hard
    Lost most of it when I went back to running flatbed solo. I'm 6'4 and 190 now so still skinnier than most even when I think I'm putting on the pounds lol

Teaming is the worst for you I think, can't even get out of the truck and walk around. Solo, I walk my dog until he's tired. That alone makes me feel better.

Funny how a little exercise and sleeping 6 hours makes me feel better and more alert than just sleeping 8 hours straight.

morpheus Thanks this.
  9. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    Flatbed is best for losing weight. I lost 25 pounds when I started in 2 months. Then it leveled out and I have maintained.

KeithT1967 and morpheus Thank this.
  10. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Food amounts and choices will be the key factors in gaining, losing or maintaining your weight.

Even if you never exercised/ moved, you could remain at a healthy weight by controlling your food intake.

Personally, I bring four days worth of home cooked meals, a few cans of chicken breast/ tuna, and snacks like baby carrots and wasa bread. I do it bc I'm a cheap skate and refuse to spend money at a truck stop, lol.

Weeezerd and morpheus Thank this.
  11. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    I lost weight when I did lease purchase did not have money to eat!

Weeezerd and Ryan423 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.