Autoshifts??

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by DC843, Nov 3, 2015.

1. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Im finding a lot of contradicting info from searching around on weather they have auto shifts or manuals, some say they are moving to all autos some say they are moving to all manuals.

what are the chances of getting an automatic? for training and for an assigned truck alike. Tunnel Hill if that matters at all.

please nobody start an argument on which one is better.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    The company is going to an all automatic fleet. We still have some trucks that are 10 speed and 8 speed. Around the middle of 2014 is when they started going to automatic. I highly recommend everyone embrace the automatic trucks cause the manual ones have a lot of miles and will probably have issues.

Options:

Manual truck and on breakdown a lot

or

automatic and making money

Choice is yours
    [​IMG]

Shortthouse Thanks this.
  4. jerezxp7

jerezxp7 Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2007
    oregon
    Our company makes you drive test in a manual and issues you a auto shift.

5. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Are they forgiving with the shifting for a recent grad? As far as some minor grinding and such.

Also when you go with a trainer is that also a auto or does it just depend on the guy

6. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    @DC843, they're forgiving. Regarding trainers truck.....it's whatever they have. Like I said, most of the fleet is automatic. High probability it will be a Cascadia and not the Peterbilt.

7. jerezxp7

Apr 4, 2007
    oregon
    ForgivING ?god yes I came from operating equipment for 2 years but with 3 years trucking experience and my drive test in a 10 speed was down right pathetic I would have failed if it was a dmv test 10 times in one drive but after 2 years or being new it takes time the company will just use it as a gage to see where you are and how much additional training you need don't sweat it just go do your best. The training truck can be either mine was manual for a week then my second trainer had an auto it really depends but don't stress yourself out over it you will pick up a manual in a matter of hours and feel all the better for havING done it.

8. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Yeah I learned on a manual in CDL school a 10 speed, and I grind gears but I can do it well enough to pass my CDL test so im sure ill be fine with this one. I was just mostly concerned with having a manual assigned to me when I go to first seat status.

Now is that a rule that you test in manual or can you sometimes get an auto for that too? cause I know ive seen a few people saying they tested in an auto but idk.

9. jerezxp7

Apr 4, 2007
    oregon
    Its not a rule I can't remember what first seat status is but if that's you team driving with another driver who is kinda your trainer his truck will almost certainly be an auto shift

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  10. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    yeah that's just when you finish your training and pass the 2nd test.

But yeah great I was hoping it would be.

jerezxp7 Thanks this.
  11. WX4JCW

WX4JCW Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    The Cascadias now have Detroit DT12 Autoshifts, they are really amazing transmissions and do quite well, however USX has done some software mods to theirs that kinda worry me a bit

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.