Becoming team or solo driver with husband driving/riding?? What to do?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BHudyk, Sep 25, 2016.

1. BHudyk

BHudyk Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2016
    My husband and I are looking into either becoming team OTR drivers or me driving and him riding along. He has 100% disability from the military and is in the program to rejoin the workforce. If we both drive we will make more $$ on the road but he will lose most of his retirement. Suggestions...ideas etc...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Can he return to the full disability pension later if he discovers returning to the work force wasn't a good choice?
    In other words, he would give up a "portion" of the disability pension, but not all of it if he starts driving?

4. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    My opinion,

Go solo, let him do the trip planning, books, ect.. you can keep his retirement, and the same sleep schedule, yada yada.. if its money your after, go team, but arranging a schedule where you will see more than a hour or 2 of each other is difficult. You can do a 8 8 8 but to often load demands will break that.

BHudyk Thanks this.
  5. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    If he is in a program that would allow him to rejoin the work force and he can rejoin the work force then I believe it is his duty to rejoin the work force.
    The fact that he is getting government money now has nothing to do with the picture. Not working and living off the government when there are other choices for a man to make is just wrong. I am a veteran and am not trying to downplay his injuries. Thank him for service but it time to solider up.

RedRover and brian991219 Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I don't think it's his duty to rejoin the work force, but if he's relatively young it may be better for his mental health. Not working can be depressing and stressful for a young person. Young can be anyone under 50.
    Some disabled vets chose Social Security Disability instead of VA Disability and really shafted themselves.

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Do some research on companies by asking drivers from that company if teams make good money and how many miles a week they average,do not believe recruiters.If you're satisfied with what they're making then I say have husband team with you.But first what kind of dissability does he have?He needs to make sure he can pass the physical.

BHudyk Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    VA disability did not stop my marine spouse from getting a full CDL and running team with me. They were actually AMUSED because she escaped Govt service to truck around the USA free as a bird with me. Good times.

If one of you do nothing but ride. It's a passenger waiver that is required of both of you. Plus approval of company for insurance purposes. If you do this buy life insurance. Your risk of death has gone up on the road sorry to say take care of each other.

pattyj and BHudyk Thank this.
  9. free spirited1

free spirited1 Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    Ask yourself, hard choice but do you believe that govt check is more solid every month or trucking. Given the economy. He served the country, many on the syst haven't even done that, not to mention we give millions/billions to other countries in foreign aide. I'm all for people working, but hey look out for yourself in the situation. I like
    what the driver above said, have him do the paperwork, calls, mapping, QC, etc, and drive solo.

street beater and BHudyk Thank this.
  10. BHudyk

BHudyk Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2016
    He has severe PTSD but wants to work. We are just really worried about whether he can handle this. We just don't want to be in a situation where we lose the benefit and he can't do the job. He has times where he missed his college classes, can't leave the house, locks himself in the bedroom etc... that is why it is an issue. He has had to drop out of many classes in college and quit several other jobs. He is very excited to try this though. Thanks for your service as well.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  11. BHudyk

BHudyk Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2016
    We are 46 and 47

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.