Best Places to Stop

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by daddyhusky, Jun 28, 2016.

1. daddyhusky

daddyhusky Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm compiling a list of the best places to stop, and I'd love to hear your favorites. Whether it's good food, lots of parking, or a best kept secret, share yours here.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daddyhusky

daddyhusky Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Here's my best kept secret is a gravel lot in Barstow, CA. Take the exit for all the truck stops on Lenwood Road, head toward the Flying J, but turn right and go 1-2 blocks. Park behind the Denny's or Gas station, and you have your choice of restaurants, including In-N-Out.

4. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    New Russian, NY rest area. Quiet, no restrooms just pinic tables. Nobody stop there. Next restrooms is just a few miles down. But I like how quiet is it.

One day I woke up in the middle of the night and took this shot

FB_IMG_1467126851000.jpg

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I like any cafe in small-town USA that has lot's of pickups parked out front at sunrise.

Otherwise, Stockmens Truck Stop in SE St Paul, MN (out of the way, generally) is an old school truck stop with a little cafe with good food and fair prices. And there are others but will hold those in reserve.

daddyhusky and stayinback Thank this.
  6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Used to get some good steak dinners there at Stockman's.

7. Modlite11

Modlite11 Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2016
    Clinton, TN
    Sunshine Family Resturant
    US 411, Maryville, Tn
    Small lot, holds a few trucks. Good breakfast, good price, cash only

Debbies Snack Bar
    I-77 Ex 65, Harmony, NC
    real good food, and prices

daddyhusky Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    TA east side Armarillo, the old one. I know people give us a hard time over that one in particular but if you gotta stop there that's the place to do it.

There is another on 35 that was either a polish, serbian or even a possibly Russian truckstop that burned once and was replaced. The food there was outstanding. For the life of me after the fire I think it took a little something with it. I cannot recall which one it was. But the Food... whooo.

Private 76 off 81 in Harrisburg. You wont find too many of those anymore.

Vermont/New Hampshire. Pick a mountain that covers your sat com from the sky. Go across street to general store ask about meals. Walk a mile to said meal. The Syrup in season is the best in the Nation, none of that process #### in walmart. All you have to do is pull off onto a scrape of stone wide enough to get all your wheels off the pavement and start walking.

Ontario, halfway from Winsdor to Toronto/Buffalo. There is a mega truckstop that will take your money, american or canadian, due to exchange rates in my day it's like a 35% payboost. CHeap steaks whoo hoo.

Walk from customs west to the local downtown winsdor grocery, collect several bags of food you will NEVER find in the USA. Store same in sleeper back at Customs until you return home to cook and enjoy.

Space Port Ohio. One of the best. I hope they maintained the quality.

Sayre NY. Now there is a back story to this one. There is a tiny truckstop to the west. GO there. No one is ever there. You have it all to yourself. 4 girls to wait your table and a empty lot to park in. Heaven.

East of Buffalo NY, the TA there.

Forget the midatlantic truckstops, all of the ones I knew have been burned, razed and replaced with stores and or rebuilt into something else like a sheetz or something. So forget all that.

Jane Lew, Big Sandy, Tamarack West by God Virginia.

A road side beef stand in the Carolina. Pick one. Salt or not salt. SImple.

IN. Or was it fort wayne? Right at the Line with Ohio on 80. A big old 76. The best. But Military loves it too. Maybe wake up when a whole Division of Infantry has taken over the lot with you in the middle.

Emlenton PA. That one is ok, but for want of a better outfit you will be ok there.

Calumet Chicago. This is one of the worst of worst, at least you can cut loose and kick two predators ### for your fun and not get arrested or sliced/shot. Do not go there. Burn it all.

Sheridan WY. A nice little truckstop by the scales. Do you cross or not? LOL.

Ontario California. A nice big TA. Done proper. Unfortunately it's California. I prefer Barstow or Fort Tejon or Redding. Make that two TA's in Ontario with your selection of street food trucks that might show up now and then.

Triple TTT north of Nogales. A combat posting as far as Im concerned.

West of Phoenix and Tuscon. That one on 10 is the absolute best food anywhere. But you gotta get to it first. Maybe that's why it's the best food....

A tiny stop called Summit PA. A cookie for you if you think it's still there taking truckers for a countertop meal of any kind on the mountain there.

Breezewood PA. Pick one.

Dixie Home, McLean Ill. I could operated out of there for years and years. Oh wait, I did. what food!!!

And so on.

Dominick253, Finfn1372 and daddyhusky Thank this.
  9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Stripes truck stops in west and central Texas offers great custom tacos for something different.

scottlav46 and daddyhusky Thank this.
  10. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Stockmens is/was pretty good..Not really outta the way, Right off I-494.

My Favorite, Is K&H.........A somewhat regular there since 1992, Waitresses that actually keep your Coffee Warm..And If They See (management) Slack, They are Told to Step it up.

Place opened in 1967- Great Food- Good atmosphere, Reasonable Shop and Plenty of Parking.

daddyhusky Thanks this.
  11. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I still love to purchase pilot coffee and brew it myself. Not a big fan of getting any coffee that any truck stop that brews it there.

daddyhusky Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.