Big Rig rearends another I5 south of Calgrove Ave

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by UsualSuspect, Sep 13, 2016.

1. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    Nothing on the news yet, but I saw this on the CHP CAD System this morning.

4:38 AM 3 [6] [Notification] [CHP]-PER ANOTHER RP SB 5 JNO 14 -- ENGINE PART OF ONE BIG RIG IS GONE ONLY THE CAB IS LEFT, UNK IF ANYONE IS TRAPPED
    4:41 AM 3101 Arrived
    4:41 AM 3101 Code 33, request Sgt Respond with Commercial Accident Team, 2 big rigs involved. need additional units to respond code, not sure if 2 big rigs or more involved, or if any are trapped, ETA for fire, advise fire they will need jaws
    4:43 AM 3120 Arrived
    4:52 AM 3121 Arrived
    4:53 AM 31S8 Arrived
    4:53 AM 31S8 request CalTrans for full closure Sb I5 at Calgrove, issue SIGALERT, unk duration
    4:55 AM 78-506C Enroute Code 3 from the Scales, full team responding per S8
    4:55 AM 31S8 2 big rigs and 1 sedan involved, fire onscene with AMR
    7:40 AM SO-219 TKS ARE STUCK TOGETHER CANT INSPECT
    7:40 AM Update #1 and 2 lanes open, #3, #4 lanes remain closed. #1 and 2 may have short closures for to remove vehicles from roadway

Doesn't have any requests for a life flight or coroner, so hopefully all are well.

Big Don, Lepton1 and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. UsualSuspect

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    Finally a news article. http://www.signalscv.com/section/36/article/156640/

One injured, traffic stalled following accident involving two big rigs on Interstate 5

One person was injured and transported to Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital following a crash involving two big rigs on southbound Interstate 5, a spokesperson for the Los Angeles County Fire Department said.

The traffic accident happened shortly after 4:30 a.m. Tuesday on I-5 just south of The Old Road, public information assistant for the LA County Fire Department Vanessa Lozano said.

According to a report from California Highway Patrol, 69-year-old Victor Javier Martin was traveling at an unsafe speed on southbound I-5 when his 2013 Volkswagen semi-truck collided with the back of a 1996 Peterbilt semi-truck in front of him in lane 5.

As a result of the accident, Marin sustained major injuries and was transported to Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital. Jose Luis Alcala, the driver of the 1996 Peterbilt semi-truck, was not injured in the crash.

California Highway Patrol issued a sig alert at 5:01 a.m. in the two right lanes to clear the accident and investigate. As of 9 a.m., the sig alert was still in effect.

According to California Highway Patrol, there are additional delays to the sig alert because of the way the big rigs crashed. The two vehicles crashed in a way that stuck them together, making it difficult for officials to inspect and investigate.

Officials also have to clear 60 gallons of fuel that spilled onto I-5, Lozano said.

The accident caused heavy traffic from Magic Mountain Parkway and backed up traffic on nearby surface streets.

4. ZhenyaP1991

ZhenyaP1991 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Lol, I had to google this volkswagen semi truck. Unsafe speed? The guy was prolly driving at 62mph, and wasnt paying attention. Good thing, it wasnt a 4 wheeler.

Lepton1 and magoo68 Thank this.
  5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I thought that was a mistake, so I Googled it as well. It's the first I've heard of them in this country.

6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    @UsualSuspect, I've got to ask, how do you have access to CHP CAD?

7. UsualSuspect

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    @Big Don it is available on the web. Not all calls are listed, and some of the lines are omitted. I am not sure how they decide what the public can see and what they cannot see. I have looked at a call, copied the text out of it, then looked later and some of the text had been hidden from my view. I think it may be up to the dispatcher. I need to ask someone I know tat works there. http://cad.chp.ca.gov/

Big Don Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Volvo, Volkswagen ... Whatever. Same thing. :banghead:

9. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I see. OK, so it is someone high up in the CHP who decided it would be good for PR. :rolleyes:
    Sheesh, I never had to worry about having anything I said put on the net, mainly because the net was in it very infancy when I retired. And I never worked anywhere they had CADs.

10. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    Geez, if only the speed limiter laws were in place already it would have prevented this

11. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    What's considered "unsafe"? Anything over 55?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.