Border Crossing to Canada with vehicles/mobile machinery. [72 hour rule]?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by old iron, Jul 12, 2016.

1. old iron

old iron Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    I've been pulling my hair out trying to get a ITN# assigned and Customs Invoice sent to the exporting port.
    Is this really the carriers responsibility or is it the customs broker?
    This is the first I've ran into this roadblock. Tell me Livingston is hosing me again and this isn't standard procedure. Book a load, then submit paperwork to the exporting port and then wait 3 DAYS to cross?
    That's a first for me. How do you guys handle this?
    Shouldn't this be handled by the broker in advance and then have the carrier added to it when the load is picked up?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Any border crossing I have ever done, the broker did all the paperwork for the ld. to cross and del. either the States or Canada.
    I think someone is hosing you.. Shipper or buyer, should have a customs broker lined up. You then do your pars barcode on the shipping papers and send it to the broker. They then enter it all into the system with either US. or Canada.. Where ever it's going

old iron Thanks this.
  4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    The machine that you picked up...does it have a vehicle title? I can't remember The machine I took to the border, but that was the thing that held me up.

Make absolutely certain that you only cross the border when there is someone from the brokers office working at the crossing. Otherwise, you're up Shat Creek.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    peterbilt_2005 and old iron Thank this.
  5. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Usually while I get loaded, the shipper will fax the paperwork to the broker and just hand me the bills. Or if not, I have to fax it to the broker. I would also call them a few hours before crossing to make sure I'm ok to cross

old iron Thanks this.
  6. old iron

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    Thanks fellas. I've crossed countless times but always with lumber, steel, or other raw material type loads. Like you said, I usually talk the shipper into faxing everything to their customs broker. With my info and my ETA to the border.

This is a boom lift I'm trying to move.
    The Customs Broker (AKA Livingston) tells me that because it is a piece of powered equipment with a serial # it falls under the same ruling as a vehicle.
    They told me that I as the Carrier have to Fax Customs Sheet along with a ITN# to the U.S. Border.
    Then wait a mandatory 72hrs.
    Then I have to stop at U.S Port and have them verify serial # of machine before I actually cross over the border and go into Canada Port with it.

Every time a have to deal with Livingston they somehow manage to mess the whole operation up. Of course they can't help with any phone #'s for the correct officer at the border. Just tell me that the carrier always handles this. Well G that's nice!! So I spend 3 hours playing phone tag.
    OHHH Gooody I now get to fight with both the U.S and Canadian border desk weenies on the same load.

Have you guys hauling equipment (loaders/dozers/off road trucks) had to do this?

7. Tai

Tai Medium Load Member

Its Livingston, of course you're getting hosed.

The only equipment I've ever crossed with was forklifts but I know I didn't do anything special. But then again we have a customs department that acts as a middle man between us and the brokers so they might be taking care of these things for us.

old iron Thanks this.
  8. old iron

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    I should clarify that this boom lift is going TO Canada. All this B.S is on the U.S side just so that the thing can leave the U.S.
    After this the normal Canada border crossing is still to be done.

9. allan5oh

allan5oh Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    Yes anything used with a title will need 72 hours to clear CBP. They put this into force about 3 years ago. They need that long to check the title, but it rarely actually takes that long. This is pretty standard operating procedure.

My new trailer did NOT need CBP clearance IIRC. My used semi did.

old iron Thanks this.
  10. old iron

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    Thanks. I finally found the regulation on the 72 hour rule for vehicles/ equipment.
    Do you normally handle sending the paperwork directly to the port crossing that you are Leaving from? In order to start the 72 hours?
    Or does the customs broker normally handle that?

11. old iron

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    I'm just thinking out loud here but how in the **** can a guy run a trucking business like this. Oh sure you can book a load 3 days out and get the paperwork accomplished. Then wait. The "friendly" border agent I spoke with told me not to even think about crossing before the 72 hours are up or there could be a fine involved.
    My dumb FARMER BRAIN thinks that this should be handled by the Customs Broker that the shipper has hired to clear the load with Canadian Customs. And done from the start. Before the load is tendered to a trucking co.
    Tell me Livingston isn't doing their job again.:(

johndeere4020 and passingthru69 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.