Can I hook my chains to my rub rail?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Weswolf, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Weswolf

Weswolf Bobtail Member

May 19, 2015
    Wilmington, NC
    I am wondering if it is illegal to attach my chains to the rub rail? I saw another flatbedder doing it this way. I'm attaching a picture of what I'm talking about. This question has probably already been asked but I couldn't seem to find it.
    Thanks!

PS: My rub rail is rated for 6600 lbs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    Reason for edit: Forgot to mention...
    Lepton1 and skellr Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eeyore05

Eeyore05 Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2015
    'Sconni
    That works but why not hook and chain back to itself

4. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Depends on the trailer manufacture. But the general rule of thumb is NO.

Think about it. The rub rail is a lightweight, generally aluminum structure that is welded to a series of spools and stake pockets. Do you really want to trust that rail to hold the weight in an emergency stop situation?

I personally run my chains around either two spools or a stake pocket and a spool, and hook the chain back to itself in a tight teardrop. And I don't even trust that, due to the reliance on aluminum welds. The most secure (in my extremely humble opinion and limited experience) is using the J-hook and track on the trailer itself. I trust the J-hook and track far more that anything on the rub rail that gets stretched and warped due to use as a securement point and whacked by forklifts during loading. Unfortunately, my carrier does not spec trailers for J-hooks, so I have to use the spools and stake pockets as securement points.

5. Weswolf

Weswolf Bobtail Member

May 19, 2015
    Wilmington, NC
    I can get closer to the coil if I just go around one spoil and hook the chain on the rub rail than if I go around 2 spoils and hook it back on itself. Also, I forgot to mention that my rub rail is rated for 6600 lbs.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  6. Weswolf

Weswolf Bobtail Member

May 19, 2015
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for your help. My rub rail is rated for 6600 lbs. I am just worried about it being DOT legal. Also, I do not have J-hooks for my trailer. With that being said, do you know of a good website to buy J-hooks? Thanks again.

7. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Weswolf- don't get any bright ideas- that's not a good anchor point at all

Use the Spools- or your Chain pop ups(If you have them) Don't get into that habit- Those rails can give-

MACK E-6 and Weswolf Thank this.
  8. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Very few trailer manufacturing companies will give rub rails a securement rating. Bed frame rails, Spools and stake pockets, chain pops and J rails, yes. The rub rail is just that, should something rub against the side of the trailer, it will help protect the tie down equipment from damage.

Rated securement points should be shown on a sticker on the trailer or in the operators manual. Every trailer comes with an owner/operators manual. If your rub rail is rated for securement it should be on that sticker or in the book. If not listed, then the rub rail is not rated as a securement point.

The photo posted showing the chains hooked over the rail. Personally, I would not want to be within a few miles of that load. A problem looking for a place to happen.

RERM and Weswolf Thank this.
  9. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Always got mine from the carrier I drove for at the time.

Your trailer needs to be specced out to use the J-Hooks. They fit into tracks or channels that run the length of the trailer deck. Ask your shop if you are not sure.

Weswolf Thanks this.
  10. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I rather go thru a spool and a pocket or around 2 spool or 1 pocket and hook back up to the chain.

J-hooks are ok but I think my j hooks are rated for 3300...

Weswolf Thanks this.
  11. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Why prefer spools or stake pockets if they have a lower wll than the rub rail? Why not use the rub rail if it has a wll? If the rub rail is weak and prone to breaking why would the manufacturer give it a higher wll?

JimmyWells and Weswolf Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.