Cummins isx 450hp question (moisture on oil cap)

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Ksv, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Ksv

Ksv Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2016
    I have a 2013 peterbilt 386 and when I open the oil cap I see water moisture on the cap, it's a little white also. What could this be? Any help would be great thank you!

It also has 459,000 miles

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    You have water / coolant in the oil. Check you radiator and see if there is oil in the coolant. Could be head gasket gone bad, oil cooler gone bad, EGR cooler gone bad, or something else. You need to go by a real shop now, don't wait, before you ruin your engine. Don't go to a T/A or something like that, take it by a RUSH or a Cummins shop.

Ksv and bzinger Thank this.
  4. free spirited1

free spirited1 Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    Yeah Dave is right, I'm a company driver and they kept putting in a new fuel injector twice at two different dealer shops, the factory said no, pull the head and get back with us. Yep was a burnt valve and a cracked head, factory sent a new head with all new valves. Since then that repetitive problem has gone, and truck runs like a champ, oil is back to normal color of oil at cap. It's very annoying when 4 dealerships didn't get to the warranted problem, but the higher level engineer at Cummins told them to pull the head. I don't blame the dealer shops entirely, as they have to do what the factory says when warranty is active, but I hated the experience of being so much in the shop/motels!!!

Ksv Thanks this.
  5. Youngtrucker91

Youngtrucker91 Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Did it look like this ??
    Thinking about buying 386 Pete
    Seen to trucks with same specs but they have this

Attached Files:

6. Ameen2316

Ameen2316 Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Mine looks like that, kinda sucks but hopefully it doesn’t ruin the engine by the time I head to the shop in a couple weeks

7. Omar9996

Omar9996 Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2022
    Did you find out what was the problem???

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.